Ask Ruggie

Wildcat-NYC
on 12/10/12 11:34 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

Oh - I used to love Lucky Brand when I was thinner...I forgot about those. 

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
ruggie
on 12/11/12 3:04 pm - Sacramento, CA

I look good in them... and the inside is so soft!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/10/12 2:13 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I am going to ask a few questions...Why are some people slow losers and for others the weight seems to just melt off? What can we do to lose at a 'normal' post VSG rate of say 10-15 lbs a month? If that is considered normal...
Why do some folks eat way more carbs and still lose just fine and I have to just look at a carb and I am in maintenance for a week? That really ****** me off.
What is this end of the world thing? We haven't heard about it in Switzerland...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ruggie
on 12/11/12 3:06 pm - Sacramento, CA

Everybody is different.

Everyone is different to an extreme extent.

There is no 'normal' in WLS weight-loss.  I was losing 10-15 my first few months, but certainly not at the end - it slowed way down for me.  Don't think about pace - just the fact that you move toward your goal regardless of what rate it is.

Carbs are different for people.  Honestly, I don't think some people track their carbs well and end up eating more than they think. Something that helped me get through stalls was increasing my protein.

Oh, the Mayan Indians predicted the world was going to end in 2012.  And there's only a few weeks left in 2012.  So.  End of the world and such.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/11/12 3:16 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
You know about Einstein I am sure, being a scientist and all... Well, what did Albert say when he was asked, "what would you do if you were told the world was going to end next week?" He replied, "I would move to Switzerland. Everything happens 50 years later there!"
So I guess I am safe here for another 50 years if the world is going to end everywhere else.

I agree with you about tracking carbs. But for the non scientific majority, we have to rely on labels and myfitnesspal and the like. And that is definitely not exact...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Beth F.
on 12/11/12 12:10 am
VSG on 07/08/13

I am a newbie/lurker (going to meet with surgeon tomorrow!!!). I've been contemplating different protein shake drinks vs protein powder. I know there are unflavored, fruit kinds, chicken soup flavored, chocolate, etc. What all do you mix these into for drinks? Water? Skim milk? I know you can mix unflavored into eggs and stuff......??

Beth

ruggie
on 12/11/12 3:08 pm - Sacramento, CA

It's simple.

Mix water into a whey protein.

You get protein and stay hydrated.  I say no to skim milk - while you're losing weight, you want to cut carbs, and a serving of milk has 8 grams.  You want more protein, then just add more protein powder.  

Now I'm at maintenance, I mix mine with almond milk.

diane S.
on 12/11/12 2:35 am

So if there is indeed an apocalypse on December 21, it is said that the new currency will be Twinkies and duct tape.  Should we stockpile these?  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

ruggie
on 12/11/12 3:09 pm - Sacramento, CA

Definitely.  And gold.  And antibiotics.

michael B.
on 12/11/12 8:08 am - MA
VSG on 03/19/12

Sooooo...what do you think of my partial nudes on my profile page?!!  Just keeping my options open.  ; )

Missed ya brother!

Burnsy  (ticker starts 2wks pre op)                        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views