6 months post-op, I have 2 more surgeries coming up in 2013.. anxious.

melanieannd
on 12/28/12 1:25 pm - TX
VSG on 06/13/12

I am 6 (and a half) months post-op from VSG, and I am most likely going to have 2 surgeries in 2013. I have had recurring sinus infections my entire life, and finally sought out an ENT after some other issues in addition to it. I am scheduled for February 21st to have a balloon surgery where they'll open my sinuses up, and also take some cartilage and possibly bone from my septum. It's minor, no more than 2 weeks of not being able to exercise. Then comes the major surgery... neck surgery.

I was in a major accident 5 years ago, and have numerous herniated discs in my back and neck. They will be doing a fusion surgery, replacing and bridging 3 entire discs. 2 months in a cervical collar, with pretty much no exercise allowed aside from slow walking. I had decided to plan on having this done in June, since it will have been on year post-op since VSG. I paid in cash, so I want to make sure I lose as much as I possibly can in the first year. The more I think about it, I am terrified. After having the surgery described, it's a lot to take in. I am not worried about the actual procedure, I am confident in my surgeon and know that I simply cannot live the rest of my life with the pain that I've been dealing with for these past 5 years. I am more worried about the effects this will have on my weight loss. I am seriously considering if I should wait an entire extra year. The closer I am to goal, the easier I should heal, right? Am I just being a little crazy, or do I have a valid point? I'm obviously the only one that can make the decision, but I thought it would help to get it out. Thanks for listening (reading).

Check out my blog, http://www.missingmelanie.com and like me on Facebook. :) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Melanie/618740441485479

dmhe
on 12/28/12 6:42 pm - TX
I had ACL surgery on my left knee yesterday so I understand your fear about exercise. I am going to eat at the low end of my calorie range and lower my carbs a bit & keep my protein really high. I worked out extra hard this month in anticipation of being out for a little while. There are plenty of people that do not exercise and still slowly lose with VSG, and know once I recover I will be able to be even more active than I was before. I too put this off, I hurt my knee playing indoor soccer 1 month before VSG & I did physical therapy but I waited until now because I had to save up time to be of work again. I know neck surgery will be a rough recovery, but you will recover and your sleeve will still be there, you will do great! Best of luck, I know your life will improve without the constant pain!

Urseo
on 12/28/12 10:11 pm - IL
VSG on 09/11/12

Wow, that's got to be stressful!

Even if you need to take a break from your steady weight loss, it'll be OK.  It won't be like previous attempts, when a setback would equal massive re-gain (pardon me for projecting- that's been my experience with dieting in the past).  Your sleeve will still restrict what you're taking in.  Your metabolism will idle higher from your existing exercise regimen.  You might still lose as your body uses tons of energy to heal, but the worst that would happen in those two months is a backslide of, what, 5 pounds, tops?  And I think that would be if you worked at overeating :D  

And your sleeve will still be there when you're cleared.  You'll still have that tool and motivation to keep on keepin' on.

I'm sorry you're going through all this stress.  I hope the surgeries go swimmingly, and that after your fusion and recovery, you're pain-free.

melanieannd
on 12/28/12 11:47 pm - TX
VSG on 06/13/12

Thanks for the input. I feel much better after sleeping on it. I am wondering if maybe my anxiety is contributing to this sudden freak out moment of waiting an entire extra year. The fact that I still have another 80-100 pounds to lose isn't helping. I originally lost over 100 pounds on my own, without surgery, before gaining it all back because of the aforementioned accident. I will just have to remind myself about that on a daily basis. The first two weeks after the neck surgery I would literally be in bed the entire time aside from going to the bathroom. Which means relying on my husband and/or kids to keep up with my fluids and healthy food. Ahhh, I can do it, I can do it.

Check out my blog, http://www.missingmelanie.com and like me on Facebook. :) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Melanie/618740441485479

dec721
on 12/29/12 3:44 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with

I couldn't exercise much at all post-sleeve, because I am partially disabled from spinal problems.  I lost just fine.  Keep your eating clean, move as much as you can, and do what you need to do.  Best wishes :-)

--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

happyteacher
on 12/29/12 7:05 am

I empathize with you about the surgeries.  There are folks on Oh who make it to goal with little to no exercise.  If I recall correctly, Frisco is not one to exercise but rather chose to keep his calories and carbs low throughout the weight loss phase.  Same with Elina, although I think she has been somewhat converted when it comes to the exercise thing.  

Personally, I needed exercise to get the weight off.  I am just not sure if I would have made it to goal without it, but I probably would have.  During my first year post surgery I had multiple surgeries for cancer related issues that stopped the exercise completely for bursts of 2-6 weeks.  I still made it to goal, and so can you!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views