Quest Protein Bar Review

bigred_z
on 12/29/12 11:58 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

So I ordered several flavors individually online so I wouldn't be stuck with a flavor I hated.  Just popped open the Chocolate Peanut Butter.  I guess its not completely inedible, but you certainly aren't going to confuse it with a Reece Cup.  It reminds me of every other protein bar I have tried.  Dense, chewy, tastes like flavored cardboard. 

Maybe tomorrow's flavor will be better.  Sad, I had high hopes based on other ppl taking about how much better they were. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Britt_Bearpaw
on 12/29/12 12:03 pm, edited 12/29/12 12:03 pm

I am a big fan of these bars as they are the lowest in net carbs, sugar, and calories than any other protein bar I have been able to find. I love love love the lemon, apple pie, strawberry cheesecake, and mixed berry. I do not like the peanut butter ones though. I also love the cinnamon roll. They just came out with banana nut bread I have been dying to try, hoping my local gnc will get it in soon.

bigred_z
on 12/29/12 12:14 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Britt, I have all those flavors you mentioned...so there is hope yet!!  Mostly I have been able to get close to my protein with my food.  Eggbeaters and cottage cheese to the rescue!!  But I do want them for an emergency kit in my locker at work and for my car or purse if I'm caught out and about.  I shall review them as i try them. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Calking
on 12/29/12 12:19 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Some quest bars have sugar alcohols in them such as the chocolate peanut butter.  If you love peanut butter, then I suggest the peanut butter supreme which doesn't have sugar alcohols.

One of the most popular flavors is the chocolate brownie.  It is also without sugar alcohols.  The best way to enjoy it is to microwave it for about 6 seconds.  

The flavors that are sugar alcohol free are

apple pie (be careful as this flavor comes both with and without the sugar alcohol)

chocolate brownie

peanut butter supreme

vanilla almond crunch

mixed berry

peanut butter and jelly.

The rest have the sugar alcohols.  They may have a laxative effect.  I won't touch the stuff but others seem OK with it.  

Also you have to remember to not make a judgment based on what you think they should taste like.  With these as well as anything else you try in life judge the flavor on whether or not it tasted good to you and not as to whether they taste like what you expect.  If you want to get something that tastes like a Reeses Peanut Butter cup than go to the store and buy a Reeses Peanut Butter cup ... it will taste exactly as you expect it.  This is a mistake that a lot of people make.  Eat it.  Try not to think of it in terms of what you think it should taste like but instead try to think only on whether or not you like it.  

I know that this idea is tough for people to do.  For the rest of your life you will be making things that are weight loss friendly versions of what you used to like.  On most cases they won't taste exactly as you would expect them to.  Sometimes they will actually taste better and sometimes perhaps not so much.  The question should never be how does it compare to what you used to know.  The question always should be simply, does it taste good to you as is.  

The same thing happened at another local GNC store they ran out of the Peanut Butter Supreme (the best selling flavor locally) and so I got 2 of the Apple Pie and tried the Mixed Berry.  My first thought was it didn't taste very berry like.  Then I thought to myself, what does it taste like?  And did I like it as it was.  The answer was yes.  It actually reminded me of a cookie dough that had a berry after taste.  It was a mild berry flavoring to a cookie dough.  I really liked it.  Still not as much as the Peanut Butter Supreme which tastes really a lot like peanut butter.  Second favorite is the Vanilla Almond Crunch.  It has little almonds pieces in it and yum.  Chocolate Brownie is third.  Then the mixed berry and apple pie are about tied for fourth.

Anyway I hope that this helps.  Get yourself into a different mindset when you try new foods.  The question again isn't whether it tastes like the thing you are missing out on but instead do you like it as is.  Does it taste good to you?

Good luck.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

olderbutwiser
on 12/29/12 12:27 pm

I eat them a lot -- and as someone else said they are low carb, high fiber and lower calorie than most.....bulky too.  Be careful though, because even though they all have 20 grams of protein, some have 170 cal, one has 160 and a couple are 200 or 210.  I realize most non-sleeved people don't care about an extra 30 or 40 calories BUT all of us VSG folks limit our calories so that 40 or 50 additional calories can add up!!  Personally I stick with the 160 and 170 ones!!

ruggie
on 12/29/12 2:03 pm - Sacramento, CA

Quest bars are awesome!  They are highly tolerable.

I said tolerable, not delicious.  You're never going to find a protein bar that you'd confuse with a Reece Cup.  That's because a Reece Cup of full of junk that'll clog your heart.  

Remember, the future of food isn't about pleasure; it's about health.  These bars are supposed to be dense and chewy and mildly cardboard flavored.  If it actually tasted like a Reece Cup, and dissolved away in your stomach like a Reece Cup, you could probably abuse them.... like a Reece Cup.  They have a ton of excellent protein and plant fiber in them, which makes them cardboardy delicious.

I've eaten two this weekend and I love them!  They help keep me thin.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

frisco
on 12/29/12 2:32 pm

"Cardboardy Delicious"

That's an advertising slogan !!!

I can see you doing the commercial...... "It's Cardboardy Delicious!!!!"..... as you hold the Quest Bar up smiling..... wearing a Space Invaders Tee Shirt !!!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/29/12 4:28 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Pleasure and health are not mutually exclusive.

I have been so enjoying the looks, tastes and textures of great quality, healthy food since my surgery that I actually think I enjoy it way more than before. And I am losing weight. If that isn't jackpot then I don't know what is!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/29/12 6:38 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I like the chocolate brownie one. Keep one in my purse for emergencies which rarely happen so it takes me a week or two to eat one bar. I prefer meat fish or chicken...salty stuff. But sometimes the bar comes in handy. A bite or two.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

bigred_z
on 12/29/12 11:40 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

I get what you guys are saying about taste, but I have a different opinion.  This sleeve, and before it my band, made me MORE demanding about what I ate.  In other words, I have only so much room to fill now, damn straight I'm going to be WAY more selective about what goes in.  Nutrition will come first, but taste is a VERY close second!

I can get protein in with food.  So I am not dependent on a bar to get my protein, consequently I am unwilling to eat flavored cardboard when there are tastier options out there.  I was just hoping to find a flavor I like so I can keep them on hand when I need them.  My schedule is all kinds of jacked up as I work nights.  Its important for me to have something available if I need it in a pinch.  I know me, if I don't have a plan...I have planned to fail!   

Will be reviewing more flavors as I purchased 11 bars, each a different flavor.  Thanks for all the input!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views