I am an asshole

slimpickins5280
on 12/31/12 12:44 am - CO

******** are like opinions - we all have them and they all stink.

I pull off asshole with ease. Being helpful is the learning curve for me. Sounds like it is for you, too.

This isn't your first rodeo (WLS-wise), so people are going to **** you off. Given your history in the military (thank you for your service - I know where my freedom comes from - brave people like you), the people that take everything personally are going to irritate the crap out of you. There is a plethora of stupid questions on here, I suggest you learn to ignore them.

I suggest that you take time to categorize the people on this forum into people you want to *help* and people you don't want to help. Make sure the people you want to help can take your unfiltered POV. Many, MANY can't. Those are the people that won't be able to glean anything from what you say anyway.

You need to learn to make your posts worth reading. Instead of pointing out the obvious, as in the vegan post, offer some alternatives for someone that wants to stay vegan. If you don't have any - stay out of the post.

I'm learning how to be more diplomatic in my approach, because I think we all are learning. No one has this "figured out" and if they say/think they do, they are only fooling themselves. This is a lifelong journey, imo.

Best of luck to you.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

dr_spatula
on 12/31/12 5:30 am
VSG on 07/27/12

I have to second Slim's response. At times I want to post some responses in posts...whether helpful, supportive, tough-loving, snarky, whatever...but then I ask myself, "Is this really helpful to the dialogue? Is it respectful to the conversation?" This helps me to make the decision whether or not to post. IMHO, our social media-friendly (or overridden) society allows us the ability to post exactly what we're thinking, whenever we choose to...thus our lack of filter shines through all too often. I know I've been bitten in the ass by this before. For someone as chatty as I am in real life (seriously, ask my friends!), I find myself posting less on here and instead being an active reader...this is how I learn best on this forum, as one who actually uses it as a supportive tool in my weight loss journey. On this forum, I don't think anyone is really an 'asshole'...we just have different opinions, ways of communicating our thoughts and feelings, and levels of sensitivity.  

Bella_Fein
on 12/31/12 1:31 am, edited 12/31/12 1:36 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I love this thread! I love that people can admit who they really are. There should be tact though. No reason to be mean just to be mean. No one likes that.

I don't respond to a lot of post that I really want to. I have the suck it up attitude as well and am utterly amazed by some post. I try to be nice. It is easy to fake being nice online. No one can see me hitting my keyboard or hear me saying "WTF". I like to help though. Some are worth helping, some are not. Some only post to hear what they want to hear. If I can't give them what they want to hear and I know they wont listen if not then why bother posting.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

reneemosley
on 12/31/12 1:44 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

OK I usually sit on the sidelines and don't participate too much.

I am one of those types you refer to who prefers to see the good in all I can, a hedonist of sorts. Why? because it works for me. If being an ass works for you....do it.

This is about my journey  and the value I get from this site comes from every type, all included on this forum. Thank you all.

A bit of background on me

I too moved out at 16, had an apartment, full time job, and went to High school.

Born to Hells Angels parents in the mid 60's.

Seen more **** in my life that would harden me than I care to admit. I still prefer to see the brightest of everything because I LIKE to.

How you act is a choice just like what you put in your mouth.

Yes I'm fat because I eat, duh. Why I eat in excess is still a work in progress for me.

Why do I hate to exercise even though I KNOW it is what will prolong my life? Still trying to figure that out too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is do what is right for YOU from the depths of your heart and soul. I certainly won't ridicule you for it, It helps me to see all perspectives.

I choose to be Happy and nice and that's my choice. I don't like unicorns but give me a puppy and a good martini on a sunny beach.

Take what you like ....leave what you don't.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

Feystorm
on 12/31/12 4:50 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

Everytime I go away  - I miss all the fun and excitement.  Hot damn!  I need the "excitement posts" update - something that sends me a message when a poster is not posting rainbow unicorn farts. 

Man, I typed the word fart - and my pug (who is sitting next to me of course) farted, and just knocked me off the couch... I had to run away and come back ---- and share :P

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

serenity1959
on 12/31/12 6:38 am
VSG on 08/05/13
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views