I have been warned... VSG and reflux...

susan1277
on 1/22/13 2:48 am - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

When they did the upper GI as a pre-op test they found severe acid reflux up to my collar bones.  He said they didn't see a hernia.  Of course, the nurse that called said that he wants me to consider the bypass due to the reflux.  I scheduled a time to meet with him about it, and in the meantime I started looking into the posts on here concerning reflux.

I met with him on Friday about the surgery options and reflux.  I was pretty against doing the bypass.  I do NOT want my intestines re-routed,  I don't want to loose my pyloric valve, and I don't want to have mal-absorption.  It seems to be such a crap shoot as to who's reflux gets better and who's gets worse! 

He warned me that the best case scenario is that my reflux stays the same.  I currently take 20mg of Prilosec and have VERY little reflux symptoms at this point, and to tell the truth I don'****ch what I'm eating to help the reflux or when I eat before I go to bed.  He said I may have to increase the dose which has little long term problems.  Or, it could get so bad that I have to revise to the bypass.  He said the revision from sleeve to bypass comes with its own complications.

He said he will do the sleeve, but wanted to warn me of what could happen.  He said there is a very low occurrence of cancer with the reflux and that was my #1 concern.  He did say they will look hard for a hernia, just in case that was causing the problem and didn't show up on the upper GI.  They are also going to add a few stitches to help prevent one later.  He does a 40f and I'm hoping since its on the larger side, it reduces the reflux.

So, here we go.  My husband is scheduled for the sleeve surgery on Jan 28th and mine will most likely be in March or April. 

Rny 6/10/13            Highest Weight 343           Surgery Weight 306

Spencerella
on 1/22/13 3:09 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I had pretty severe reflux/GERD prior to surgery and it is more severe since surgery.  However, what I considered was how well the medications worked for me.  Pre-surgery, I was well managed on 30 mg Prevacid daily, and since surgery, I've had to double the amount, which is split into two daily doses.  So I'm taking more medication, but my symptoms are well controlled.  As a result. I still believe that VSG was the right choice for me. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

susan1277
on 1/22/13 3:14 am - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

I'm hoping that is how mine goes.  I'm ok with adding some medication.  At this point I don't have any symptoms on my current dosage unless I accidently sleep on my stomach without my pillow under my head.  Then I will have some acid come up.  That happens maybe 4 times a year at this point.  Thanks for sharing your experience... its helps!!

Rny 6/10/13            Highest Weight 343           Surgery Weight 306

MuttLover
on 1/22/13 4:54 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Same here -pre-op 40 mg of Nexium, twice a day.  By GI doc recommended the bypass, but that none of his patients had gotten worse (some better, and new VSG patients with it, but none worse), and my surgeon said it would depend on my GI series.

I'm 9 weeks out, and so far, so good.  I continue to take 40 mg of Nexium 2x a day -- and I have Prevacid AC for those times at night when I get acid (something I NEVER had before VSG).  But the Prevacid, and propping up a little when I'm acidy, do the trick.

The key is that you know it's a crapshoot, and that you are making a decision based on the facts. 

Best of luck on your journey -- you can check back with me closer to surgery if you want a reflux update! LOL!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

nieba
on 1/22/13 5:20 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

I've had GERD for the last 5 years. I would say my GERD got a little worse after surgery, but is controlled by my medicine. I am on 20mg of Zegrid and occasionally I take a Zantac at night so I don't have acid throat in the morning. I would expect that diet would have a positive benefit to you as well.

Good Luck!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

louisamay
on 1/22/13 5:20 am
VSG on 04/27/12

Witn insurance paying for most of it, I personally would choose the VSG unless my surgeon felt very strongly about it being a bad risk. I'd roll the dice.

Without insurance, I'd probably go ahead and get the bypass since it would be hard enough to pay for one surgery, much less following up with a second.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

suzie2241
on 1/22/13 5:32 am
VSG on 11/02/12

I also had reflux pre-op but it was controlled with 20mg Omeprazole once a day.

My surgeon increased the dose to 20 mg twice a day and, other than a few problems at night (especially in the beginning if I ate too close to going to bed), it is pretty controlled.

He said I should be able to come off it by 3-4 months out. I'm close to 3 months, but do not think I'm ready to come off - if I forget to take a pill, I know it.

I'm with you; I did not want my organs rearranged either.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views