Head Hunger

Jen68
on 2/3/13 9:55 am
Six days since I was sleeved. I am really not hungry, am getting water in and following all of my Drs recommendations. But I think I have a BIG case of head hunger. Of course my family has the usual superbowl munchies out and I am on clears so I can't eat them. I want to chew, taste, smell the food, etc. I don't feel physically hungry. I worked really hard the 6 months before my surgery on identifying physical versus head hunger. But this head hunger takes hold and does not leave!
Now let me make it clear I KNOW I have food issues. But I am looking to all the seasoned sleevers for tips on this. Any advice is most appreciated. I am looking ahead to prepare myself for when I am actually consuming something other than liquids and clears.
mary d
on 2/3/13 10:05 am

I try to make the foods that I can and should have taste as good as they possibly can and I don't bring the junkie carby empty calorie stuff into the house.  Plan treats that are within your plan and have that stuff around so that when you feel like having a snack, you have the right stuff to go to.  Don't bring your trigger foods into the house

It is a life long process.  The trick is to realize that by eating the right things you wlll feel and look better and live longer.

Good luck, I know it is hard.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Jen68
on 2/3/13 10:29 am
Thanks!!!!! I appreciate the input. I know this is going to be hard...I didn't get to this point overnight. Thank God for this forum!
MomofMarch
on 2/3/13 10:06 am - GA

I wouldn't consider myself "seasoned", but I do have some tricks for you to chew or get a little crunch. When I was on clear liquids, I would have sugar free popsicles OR (don't give me a weird look on this) frozen pickle juice. It gave me a little sense of normal. I was told that salty liquids were fine, as long as I was getting in some water or crystal light. I was early out during Christmas, so smelling the food and seeing everyone eat was a killer. Stay strong! You can do this!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Jen68
on 2/3/13 10:33 am
Lol...the dietician at my DRs office actually brought up pickle juice as a "go to" when having problems. I may have to try that tonight! It doesn't help that I'm just kind of laying around recuperating. (Although I did get my walking in today)
Thanks for your message it is sooooooo appreciated!
sunny_disposition
on 2/4/13 12:39 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

I'm one week out today, and definitely having some of the same problems.  Not physically hungry, but my brain is telling me otherwise. Just want to bite and chew and actually eat! The vets probably have it more under control, but for right now, the easiest thing for me is either to remove myself from the situation (whether that's not going out or just not sitting near the food), or giving myself something to preoccupy my hunger if possible, sipping on some blended soups, or pudding. Feels less like deprivation.  We just have to work out of some hard-to-break habits, but you'll find your way!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views