How do you measure your protein powder + other stuff

Bella_Fein
on 2/10/13 12:25 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I am prepping for my liquid diet that starts tomorrow. I was putting scoops of powder into individual serving baggies. Reading the directions it said 1 scoop = 27 grams. So I scooped and then weighed. The scoop I put in the bag was 34 grams. I guess I packed it too tight. Maybe it meant a loose scoop? IDK. So I decided I would make sure and weigh my scoops from now on. Has anyone else noticed this? I would have to assume that I can't be the only one. I wonder how many people are just scooping and ending up with more calories than they thought they were consuming. Seriously an extra 7 grams with this powder is an extra 25 calories. While that isn't much it can add up if done over and over.

Also, I am trying to figure out what to take with me for the day. I have my upper GI at 9:30 am then pre-admit with the hospital at 11 am then as soon as that is over I go straight to my pre-op appointment with my doctor. So, no food or drink after midnight for the upper GI. Well, I start my liquid diet, but I don't see my doctor for specifics on it until probably noon. I don't know how many shakes a day I'm supposed to have or anything. I have to go to work straight after my appointments so I don't get to go home and get additional stuff based on what my doctor tells me. I have 2 jobs so after the 1st one I go to the other and will not get home until 9:30 at night.

I guess I'm just worried that I wont bring enough or something. Considering I will be out and about from 9 am until about 1 or 2 pm, I don't really want to have milk/almond milk in my car that long. I guess I could put them in a freezer bag with an ice pack.

OK I'm rambling. Sorry.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

NUJoyce
on 2/10/13 2:00 pm - Hayward, CA

Hi:

Sounds like my days....  I always have the protein powder in baggies far more then I will need.   I purchase milk at 7/11 or just use water if not near a 7/11. 

Don't worry about the weight of the powder.   just use the scoop not packed tight.    There are so many more things to worry about.  

Good luck!

debiosbo
on 2/10/13 2:00 pm - WA
VSG on 02/06/13

The 27 grams the powder is talking about is 27 grams of protein not the weight... so yes measure do not weight  If your not having surgery the next day you can start your liquid diet the following day a half day wont make that much differance

MuttLover
on 2/10/13 9:11 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

The scoop does contain 27 grams of the actual powder and is not referring to the protein.  The weight contained in the scoop is in parenthesis beside the words 1 scoop (27g).  That way, if you lose your scoop or don't want to stick your hand all the way into the container to find it, you can measure out the correct amount!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

MuttLover
on 2/10/13 9:15 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

When I bag it up, I measure by weight -- but typically if I'm just making a shake, I take a scoop and go!  I just make sure the scoop isn't overfull.  But you'll also be getting extra protein with the extra powder! 

Best of luck with your surgery!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views