Travel after VSG?

Christine O.
on 2/14/13 1:26 pm - OR
VSG on 07/05/13
Hello everybody.

I've been lurking for a bit. I really enjoy all the advice and support here. I'm hoping to have my surgery in May.

I have a question for those on the other side. If all goes well, when can you travel after surgery? I'm just trying to make rough plans for work. If I do have surgery in early May, I'm supposed to drive 3 hours away for a few days about 2.5 weeks after the surgery. Then a week later I'm supposed to go 6 hours away. And a week after that I'm supposed to fly halfway across the country. Will I be able to do that at 4 weeks postoperative?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Christine

HW 309 ~ SW 267 ~  GW 149 ~ Early pre-op: -28; 1 wk pre-diet: -14; M1: -21, M2: -15; M3: -16

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/14/13 1:43 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I flew home from San Diego 6 days after my surgery, went out for lunch with girlfriends a few days later (broth! I had broth!), rejoined my aquasize class 2 weeks after that, drove to my niece's wedding (9 hours each way) a month after that...

I bet you'll be just dandy.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

bailey301
on 2/14/13 3:57 pm
Kelly,
I was just curious to where you got your surgery done? I see that you flew home from san diego, was curious if you had gone to mex to get it done and if so how was your experience? I am seriously looking into this since my insurance does not cover wls. Any info would be appreciatd.
Terresa
Kelly-AnneH
on 2/14/13 11:52 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I had my VSG done by Dr Aceves in Mexicali and it was absolutely the best thing I've ever done for myself! My surgery went very well, the nursing care amazing (no waiting 1/2 hour or more for help - any time I had problems I had help within a minute or 2) the hospital exceptionally clean and well run.

My husband went with me and stayed in my room with me, which I really appreciated, since I felt more comfortable with him nearby. My sis was sleeved about an hour after me - her daughter travelled with her. (Barry and Hope went to the cafeteria together for meals)

There was wifi in the hospital and hotel (part of the package is a night in a nice hotel the night before surgery) so I was able to stay in touch with family and friends back home.

Cost - $8750US, plus flights, dinner in the hotel the night before, and some drugs from the pharmacy next to the hospital. We tipped the driver and hotel housekeeping.

Ask anything you like.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

swampbaby
on 2/15/13 2:33 am
VSG on 02/20/13
swampbaby
on 2/15/13 2:34 am
VSG on 02/20/13

Hi bailey301,

I, too, was considering going to Mexico for surgery.  Then I learned of and about Dr. Thomas Borland in New Iberia, Louisiana.  He does the VSG surgery at the outpatient surgery center and if you are not local you must stay a couple of nights in a local hotel.  He will make "housecalls" to your hotel to check on you.  I am scheduled for surgery this coming Wednesday.  I have met him and liked him alot, very comfortable with him.  The cost of the surgery, including the surgery centers charges, anesthesia, and surgeon fees is $9800.  You will need to get pre-op testing done, but your insurance may pay that, and if not I believe it will run between $300-400.  Your hotel would be additional too.  

Like I said, I was considering  Mexico, Dr. Guillermo Alvarez, in particular. I know he has an impeccable reputation and his patients seem to love him.   But once I researched Dr. Borland, I decided to stay in the states for surgery.  I just wanted to let you know there are other options.  If you have any questions, feel free to message me. 

Jeanne

LNC62
on 2/14/13 1:43 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

you'll be fine.  I traveled about 3 weeks after surgery.  A 3 day weekend with high school friends. I drove myself about 6 hrs each way.  Since I was on pureed's and protein shakes, I was able to drink my meals on the way there and save time.  After driving all day on Friday I spent all night laughing it up with my friends.  They had amazing pot luck and I had my protein shake.  No one blinked twice that I wasn't eating and they didn't make a big deal about my surgery.  I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit tired, but at 50. I don't have the stamina I used to.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/14/13 3:07 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Barring any unforseen complications you should be fine for your planned travel.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

SeaGirl
on 2/14/13 3:13 pm
VSG on 02/01/13

I normally travel a lot for work.  My surgeon asked me to limit flying for the 30 days after surgery, but said that if I do have to fly in the first 60 days, I will need to take blood thinner injections.  As I've mentioned before, he's pretty conservative!  In terms of driving, I am two weeks out as of tomorrow, and could easily travel all day in the car at this point - no discomfort sitting or anything, and my surgeon doesn't have any concerns with car travel - he's just careful about blood clots when flying.

Christine O.
on 2/14/13 3:51 pm - OR
VSG on 07/05/13

Thanks for all the feedback. This makes me feel much better. Wow. I can't wait to be there.

HW 309 ~ SW 267 ~  GW 149 ~ Early pre-op: -28; 1 wk pre-diet: -14; M1: -21, M2: -15; M3: -16

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views