Update on coconut sugar as potassium supplement

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/16/13 4:37 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I looked this up today for my husband and discovered I'd read the site wrong. Darn - it works out to being about the same amount of potassium as a banana (for the same amount of calories)

http://www.oneearthfunctionals.com/products/organic-coconut-sugar.html

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

califsleevin
on 2/16/13 8:45 am - CA

It looks like they intend for you to read it wrong - how else can they make 1 tsp of sugar or equivalent look like it has some useful nutritional value! (LOL) It looks like a banana is still a bit better on calories vs. potassium (but in the same ballpark,) though still short of the lowly baked potato. The best non-Rx potassium source that I have found is the low sodium version of V8 juice at a bit less than 1200mg for 70 calories.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/16/13 11:16 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'll check out the juice - thanks! I really enjoy v8 hot, and according to MFP my potassium intake is abysmal. Of course, it also disapproves of my sodium intake of about 500mg a day.
Spuds are by far my favourite potassium source, even though my serving is pretty small. 1/2 a smallish potato topped with 1/4c broccoli and some nippy cheese makes a mighty fine lunch in my world.

thinnersinner
on 2/16/13 10:43 am

Maybe you were the one that told me about this in an earlier post?  I called my local health food store and they told me it was about the same too.  Anyway, I did some searching on this board and ran into a post on Morton's Lite salt.  Someone recommended it as a good potassium supplement if you use it to salt your food.  I'm not sure if that's true, but do you know anything about it?  I've been using 1/2 a banana in my protein shakes each morning, but it seems like a waste of calories even though my nutritionist approves.

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/16/13 11:24 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I haven't seen Mortons, but I have a container here in my hand of something called NoSalt. It has no calories and 650mg of potassium in 1/4 tsp. There's warning on the label for people with diabetes, heart or kidney disease, so as usual one should proceed with caution and remembering that some being good doesn't mean lots more is better.

Now to find out if it tastes ok...

thinnersinner
on 2/17/13 5:03 am
Let me know how you like it. Luckily I don't have any of those conditions and have no restriction on salt, in moderation of course.

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/17/13 5:45 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Honestly? I think it's nasty - my hubby thinks it's just fine. I think I'll buy myself some V8.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 289 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 341 views