How does VSG help?

Marcus C.
on 2/19/13 2:35 am
Hi everyone, I have a question ... How does VSG help you lose weight? As per my understanding... Smaller stomach=less hunger=Less calories=less weight.

Am I right?

Also the remaining portion of your stomach... What happens if you get an ulcer on this part ? Won't they have to remove your entire stomach?

Deckeriv
on 2/19/13 2:44 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

This is what I understand. Smaller stomach = less portion size ability. Cut out portion=less hormone to promote hunger (ghrielin). Cut out portion = where ulcers happen. Eating properly the rest of your life = maintain healthy BMI.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Lauren Vento
on 2/19/13 3:02 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

They don't leave the extra portion inside of you, like they do with the RNY, therefore if you get an ulcer it would only be in the tube left behind.

Certified Life Coach & WLS Support Coach

Jackie T.
on 2/19/13 3:20 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

For me, VSG is a tool to help me lose my excess weight.  It will then be up to me to maintain my weight loss.  It causes restriction, if I eat too much or too big of bites.  It helps me to slow down and eat so that my brain and stomach can catch up with each other.  This procedure also gives me the chance to lose this weight and change my bad habits so that I can get to my goal weight.  As I get further out, it will be my responsibility to use my new "good" eating habits and maintain my weight loss.

I did not want any other procedure because I did not want my insides rerouted.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

nmrudge
on 2/19/13 3:32 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

Basically, it forces you to eat less.  When you eat less and exercise, you lose weight.  Plain and simple.

Edit Delete

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/19/13 3:38 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Maybe force is a bit of a harsh concept...I prefer to think that the VSG gives me the opportunity to eat less and to rethink my relationship with food without wild hunger, in turn allowing me to make wise and healthy choices and to move my butt off the couch. The weight loss is a natural outcome of an overall healthier life.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

nmrudge
on 2/19/13 3:58 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

It may be harsh but it's accurate.  What happens if you eat to much or to fast?  You throw it all up.  That's force.  I think the difference in our answers is that I was thinking physically and you were thinking mentally. 

Edit Delete

rhearob
on 2/19/13 4:00 am - TN

Actually your answer was much too simplistic.  It doesn't force you to eat any less or make any better choices.  Many people eat around their sleeve or continue to eat fatty/sugary foods, or both.  The sleeve doesn't force you to do anything.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

nmrudge
on 2/19/13 4:13 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

I disagree completely.  It does force you to eat less.  It's a restrictive procedure by concept.  Nobody can eat the same volume of food post-op as they could pre-op.  Without throwing it up.  I agree that there are other aspects to the surgery.  Making better food choices & exercising is part of it as well.  But speaking physically only, the sleeve forces you to eat less.  Making the other necessary lifestyle changes are true of all WLS and are more mental. 

Edit Delete

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/19/13 4:21 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Sure they could! Not at one meal but if they eat every hour or eat or drink calorie dense foods/drinks then they can easily injest the same overall daily volume or the same caloric intake as before surgery. They would have to be seriously nuts to do this but technically it is very doable.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views