Too sleepy to get in all my liquids

Bella_Fein
on 2/21/13 6:54 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I just had surgery Monday. So far I am not getting in all my liquids. If I could stay awake I would. I woke up this morning, had a protein shake, went back to bed, woke up, had another protein shake and am now fighting to not go back to bed. I feel like I need to stay awake just so I can get in enough liquids. Anyone else sleep a lot in the beginning and did it interfere with your liquid consumption?

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Bethany1988
on 2/21/13 7:17 am - MI
VSG on 02/18/13

Same here! Surgery on Monday and I have been too tired to drink the right amount! I keep trying to force myself to stay awake so I can get in what I need to. So far today I've gotten in 15g in an Isopure drink, and then another 20g in a chocolate new direction shake. I know it isn't nearly enough but it is all I can handle right now. I've been trying to get in more water than anything... Once I am able to handle the water we need, I think I will be able to move forward on the protein.

I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. –Christopher Reeves

LNC62
on 2/21/13 7:29 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
Yep, happened to me, too. Took a few days to a week before I got all my protein/liquids in.

ArmyWife29
on 2/21/13 8:07 am - GA

I just wanted to urge you not to fight the sleep too much during this first week.  You had major surgery just a few days ago!  If you are very sleepy, by all means take a nap.  I needed lots of sleep/naps that first week out.  But I REALLY think it helped my body with the healing process, because by the end of the second week I was feeling really good.  During the second week I still needed an "after lunch" nap which lasted about 2 hours.  But again, I can attest that resting when my body needed it really did help.  Also the first week I was only getting about 30-40 oz a day.  Popsicles really really helped, and so did SF jello.  Protein shakes filled me up a lot, so I didn't worry too much about protein right off the bat because I wanted to get my fluid up where it should be first.  I became diligent about protein around the end of week 2 and really diligent at week 3 when I started full liquids.  I am one month out tomorrow and am officially down 29 lbs.

Ht 5'4HW 232  GW 138

Bella_Fein
on 2/21/13 8:21 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Very good advise! Thank you!

Shagdoll
on 2/21/13 8:17 am

First off, WHOO HOO for being sleeved gurl!!!!

Secondly, you are only 3 days post-op and I agree with the above post-op, you need all the sleep and rest you can get.  I think you are doing better than I ever did.  I barely got 4 cups of plain water in at that point.  The fact that you are drinking 2 shakes a day (Premier RTD at 30 grams of protein maybe?) you are doing very well.  Just keep sipping, walking & resting. 

Get it gurl!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Bella_Fein
on 2/21/13 8:25 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Thank you!

I have had 2 Matrix shakes. I am making them 6 ounces (package says 6-8 so I went with 6) and they have 23 grams of protein, so 46 grams for the day! Woohoo! It does fill me up though. Maybe too much? I do feel a bit uncomfortable when I am drinking them. Maybe that's a sign that I shouldn't drink the whole thing?  I am sipping water now. I may just stick with water or some broth for the rest of the day.

JerseyGirl_1213
on 2/21/13 8:48 am

I was sleeved the day after you were, on the 19th.  I am so tired too!  Of course, that's because of the trauma to our body, left over affects from the  anesthesia and the pain medication.  I'm concentrating on my liquid quantity more so than protein this week.  As a matter of fact, my plan has me on clear liquids for a full week and then I transition to full liquids/puree stage and have to stay on that for 3 full weeks.  This is kind of a bummer for me as it's mentally challenging to know I won't be able to "chew" anything for a full month!!  Anyway, I'm not even allowed to have protein shakes until next week and was told not to count my protein until then.  My only priority right now, according to my surgeon and his team is to try to get all my liquids in so as not to get dehydrated.  This is very hard to do!  Even sipping all day long, it's nearly impossible to get 48-64oz of fluid in me! 

Anyway, follow your plan and rest when you need to.  They keep telling me that each day gets easier and better and that's what is keeping me going for now.  Good luck to you...

Bella_Fein
on 2/21/13 9:00 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I have 3 weeks full liquids and then 3 weeks mushies. My doctor gave me a list of approved liquids. He did tell me to focus on getting in enough liquids so I don't get dehydrated. I think I will back off of the protein shakes a bit. Maybe one a day and have it throughout the day and not just all at once. That may make it much easier on me. Water and chicken broth may be best right now!

JerseyGirl_1213
on 2/21/13 9:11 am

That's a good idea.  I do have some of the Bariwise chicken broth that I've been sipping on today.  At least I know I'm getting a little protein along with my liquids.  And I'm sure this mental fog will end once I can get off the pain killer totally.  I'm trying to wean off, but still find myself needing it at least twice a day.  Just taking it all one day at a time so I don't get too overwhelmed!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views