How do you handle family's junk eating?

Lisawithboys
on 2/26/13 12:41 pm
I am on day 8 post op ( yeah). I am doing well with my recovery~no nausea, pain well controlled, getting there with my h2o and protein. BUT wondering how some of you deal with the temptations of the families treats and meals. My husband just had his birthday, and we got him his favorite pizza and ice cream cake. Next week is my sons birthday. I'm so glad I have had this done, because if I was on one of my many diets I've been on I would have said, "just one bite" that would have trickled to a end of another failed diet. Things have certainly looked tempting, but I'm taking care of my new baby tummy. So please give me some input on what you do.
Jls8877
on 2/26/13 12:55 pm
My family has naturally cut back over time on their junk food since my surgery in August. I do the grocery shopping and I do still buy my school age kids snacks. I try to pick things I can easily pass up or make sure I have alternatives. Rarely,I do "cheat". I own it and log it so it fits in my day. I try not to dwell on it. I leave myself 100 calories or so each day in case this happens. It usually is hardest around my hormonal changes. I use those extra calories no more than 1-2 x's per week.
I also exercise and this helps me get out of the house if they are in snacking mode.
Lisawithboys
on 2/26/13 1:00 pm
Thanks, I'll have to use that, "getting the snacks they like, and I don't"
pineview01
on 2/26/13 12:58 pm - Davison, MI

My DH has shelves down in the family where I ask him to keep his treats.  He is a hard worker and is a healthy weight so, he buys them and keeps them out of harms way, ME

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Lisawithboys
on 2/26/13 1:03 pm
Lol, it sounds like your head is in the right mind set.
danigirl42
on 2/26/13 11:09 pm - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

My hubby keeps his treats in his work truck....lol.  

lunarose
on 2/26/13 1:11 pm - Newhall, CA

Early on (the first six months) it wasn't an issue for me but it got harder after that. You are not eating yet eating food post op is a whole new world. The good news is that 21/2 years later I might have some pizza once every few months and can not eat two full slices. I know my danger foods for me sweets and I'd like to say I never indulge but I do but before I cheat I make sure I eat my protein first. When I am full nothing sounds or tastes good so I might eat 3/4 of a chocolate chip cookie (small size) and leave the rest. You will always need to be careful but it isn't an all consuming mental battle it was before surgery. As for

frisco
on 2/26/13 1:17 pm

Some will say to flip your family upside down and run a "clean" (for you) house...... I can't argue that.......probably best case scenario......

But, this the way I see it...... It's not our world.... we just live in it.......

Get used to it...... if it's not a family temptation it will be a work, PTA meeting, or any other daily, weekly, monthly, yearly social situation........ were surrounded by it.......

I have to buy and serve hundreds of dollars worth of crap food and snacks for clients and crew...... just cause I don't partake anymore.....I can't change it up just for me......

It's all you from here on out !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

artmaker
on 2/26/13 1:32 pm
VSG on 12/20/12 with
I agree with frisco.
Seeing as how i am not the head of my house hold and my brother is a basket, it's really just about taking it in stride. Being self aware and conscious about your decisions is how your gonna get through this. Also, if it helps at all, i found that usually it's not their junk good that triggers my bad thoughts, but rather my own weird cravings at my own unfortunate times. So, I can't blame them toi much!

"Only the noble of heart are called to difficulty"

-Soren Kierkegaard

artmaker
on 2/26/13 1:33 pm
VSG on 12/20/12 with
* my brother is a baker!

"Only the noble of heart are called to difficulty"

-Soren Kierkegaard

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views