First day on purees, requesting feedback.

katikati
on 3/4/13 5:18 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

Well, I did it!  I had my first bite of food in a month.  I mixed up just under 3 oz. of albacore tuna with a dab of mayo for more moisture, then promptly set the bowl down and stared at it, afraid to take a bite.  I laundry list of possible outcomes was going through my mind, but I finally picked up the fork and took a tiny nibble, then chewed it until there was really nothing left to swallow because it had just coated my mouth.  I waited a while and then took another bite.  I won't lie, it tasted wonderful and I was so relieved and happy to get to be eating something.  That feeling does scare me.  I don't want to get too much emotion tied back up in eating, but I did enjoy it immensely.  I didn't get sick at all.  My stomach felt slightly strange.  Kind of a pressure in my chest similar to when I first began taking liquids in the hospital, but nothing bad.  The one thing I was concerned about it is I expected that I would feel full after just a few bites.  I ate about half of it, so about 1.5 oz. and then stopped.  The thing that I noticed is that I suddenly felt the need to let out a big sigh, and that reminded me of when I used to sigh heavily after stuffing my face with so much food.  So, I decided I'll see if that is my signal for fullness.  Is it surprising at 4 weeks post-op and having my first food to be able to eat that much, or is that about average?  I'm so afraid this won't work.  I'm so afraid I will find my body is tolerant of too much food.  I know I have to work my sleeve and follow my meal plan, but there is a reason I had this surgery, and this is imposed restriction.  I need it if I am to succeed.

katikati
on 3/4/13 5:21 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

Oh, also, how long should I wait between bites?  There's nothing in my handbook about that.

zra
on 3/4/13 5:22 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

We had surgery the same day :) My plan is very different, so I started on purees at one week out. Since you've just started, I would decrease your portion size. I could barely eat an ounce of puree in one meal. I'm on mushy solids now, and I can still only eat about an ounce. Start with that. What you describe is definitely a too full feeling, so I think you  might have overdone it a little. Good luck!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

NiceyDoodle
on 3/4/13 6:57 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 02/19/13

I begin soft foods on Mar 12th and I am terrified. I am doing quite well on my liquid diet (im on cream soups) and the other night, I snuck a spoonful of taco meat (hamburger).  It tasted glorious, and then..it got stuck. I thought I was going to puck. I am hoping that happens when I eat crap.  

I am terrified of eating solids after that. 

March 20th, I move to real solids. My birthday is on the 23rd. I am terrified.

I find I can eat a lot of soup. No where near what I used to eat, but I feel like its too much. I feel ya.

Thumper71
on 3/4/13 7:12 am - NY

I had a VSG, and I'm going back for my first post-op checkup tomorrow, when I'm expecting (hoping) to be put on purees... I keep thinking about all the things that I'll be able to add to my diet, but also thinking about how small the portions will have to be.  If you had a RNY, then anything more than an ounce is gonna really push your limits, but with a sleeve, 1.5 shouldn't be a big deal at all.  Just so long as you take your time and listen to your body when it tells you to stop.

NiceyDoodle
on 3/4/13 7:15 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 02/19/13

Yeah, I think the biggest key is eat SLOW!!! Give the food time to get down all the way before you put more in.  That is always my mistake, then I get really nauseaus.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views