goal weight question

tigerbelle
on 3/12/13 12:44 pm - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

I have a question about setting a goal weight...is this something that your surgeon sets or is it a self-determined goal?  If the surgeon sets it, is there some formula it is based on, and does the formula vary from surgeon to surgeon?  I am just curious.

hollirrose
on 3/12/13 12:49 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
I picked my own. My surgeon didnt give me on. I picked the middle/upper end of my bmi range for someone my height.
Bella_Fein
on 3/12/13 12:56 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

It can vary. I have a goal range of 130-140. My doctor's goal is 160-170. I know the weight I have been before and where I would like to be. My doctor only took a normal weight for someone my height and expects me to lose about 80% of that.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Calking
on 3/12/13 1:29 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I picked a goal and discussed it with my surgeon.  We agreed it was reasonable.  When I got there I decided to loose some more ... another 10 pounds with the thought that I would re-evaluate when I get to that weight.  I did re-evaluate and went for another 10 pounds. I kept doing this and then went down too far.  My new goal weight is to gain 10 pounds and have that as a minimum weight and then add 5 pounds to be a maximum.  I believe people should come up with a range in which they would be comfortable.  Whether it be a 5 pound upper and lower limit or a ten pound range.  Personally I think that a 10 pound range is giving yourself too much leeway.  If you are at the bottom you may think that you can go crazy for a week and still be in that range with ease.  For that reason I recommend something like 5 or 6 pounds.  If you are at the bottom you might stay there for that one special event (birthday, anniversary, or such) where you can have a little something special.  That one event won't put on that 5 pounds.  It might give you a couple but then keep an eye on things and if you get to the top you know it's time to buckle down and loose that 5 pounds.

Just a thought.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 152 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 425 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 445 views