Disgusting question about bowel movements, with disgusting details. (Be warned.)

horrible_monster
on 3/12/13 6:18 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

My surgery was 2/27, so exactly two weeks ago. I was on clear liquids only for the first week. Since Thursday the 7th I've incorporated protein shakes. I'm using About Time (peanut butter flavor) with plain, unsweetened almond milk and Unjury's "chicken soup" flavor in water. I'm taking my protein three times a day. I've been falling a little short of the water requirements but most days I'm able to get in at least 64 ounces, and I'm always working toward more water. 

Since I've been home, I've had three bowel movements. Maybe four, actually. All diarrhea to varying degrees. Which I expect; liquid in, liquid out. 

What I've noticed is my, er, "output" started out dark and just keeps getting darker. Just now I filled the bowl and it was black. Black-black. Pitch black. No pain or anything (besides abdominal gurgling) beforehand or during.  But it's disconcerting and shocking to look down at the toilet and see it.

I'm taking an iron supplement as prescribed by my surgeon: Ferrogels Forte Softgel, three times a day for thirty days. (I hope so hard I can go off these eventually; I hate them.) I Googled iron supplements and stool color and The Internet assures me black stool is normal when you're taking iron. Okay. So I'm okay, right? This is normal?  

I'm seeing either my surgeon or his nurse practitioner on Thursday for my two-week follow-up. I guess what I need to hear is "stop freaking out, you and your poop are fine." Because I am (probably!) fine, right?!

This week's Horrible Monster freakout is brought to you by me being up way past my bedtime. And by scary black diarrhea.

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

The_Sheltonator
on 3/12/13 6:31 pm

Dark stool is completely normal taking iron supplements (and actually when drinking red wine its normal too), but if its black and has a tar like consistency (i.e. kind of sticky rather then liquidly when you wipe) then it may be something to be concerned about).

Do mention it to your nurse or doctor when you see them.

Congratulations on your first 2 weeks!

SophieNJ
on 3/12/13 10:36 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

sounds exactly like mine for the first week when on clean liquids.....then i was surprised to have a few tiny little solid pieces, since I started full liquids....must be the  protein shakes....but, yep, dark dark dark

Connie S.
on 3/13/13 1:05 am - CA
VSG on 03/04/13
It does sound like the iron is the culprit. You did not mention the smell, though. If the black stool was caused by blood, it would be the WORST thing you ever smelled in your life. Also, if it was blood, you would probably note some light headedness or extra fatigue. Good luck.
susanpalmer
on 3/13/13 5:39 am - annapolis county, Canada

LOL I work in a nursing home and can always tell who takes iron supplements they always have black poop. Nothing to worry about sounds normal

susan palmer    
highest weight 280 current weight 186

horrible_monster
on 3/13/13 6:57 am
VSG on 02/27/13

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. I am feeling pretty okay, but will definitely mention this to the doctor/nurse practitioner tomorrow. Appreciate your help!

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Jenny S.
on 3/13/13 9:45 am

Totally normal.  Its from the iron.  & I am 4 weeks out tomorrow.  I have only had 2 hardish poops post op.  Just know where your bathrooms are wherever you go. 

5' 2" 272 age 41

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 317 views