ridiculously delicious shakes

sleevicidal_maniac
on 3/26/13 10:10 pm

I'm sure this is no secret, but I thought I'd throw out a couple ideas for you guys trying to add a little variety. I have been starting my day with a protein shake for breakfast for several months. But, like everything else, it gets old quickly. I went with a new twist and found a simple thing that makes them AWESOME!

So, I start at Costco (BJs, Sam's, etc...) and I always have a big old bag of vanilla and chocolate protein powder. I use a regular blender. I buy Blue Diamond Almond Breeze almond/coconut milk in original and chocolate. In my regular grocery store, I buy the old bananas for about 25c a bunch. I take the bananas, peel them, cut them into small pieces and freeze them. And finally, when I make coffee in the morning, I make a 12 cup pot and keep the last half in the fridge. Using these ingredients, I have come up with a few awesome shakes that are pretty lean on calories, rich in protein and delicious.

Mocha (~200 cals)

4oz cold coffee

4oz chocolate almond milk

1 scoop chocolate protein powder

1/2 cup ice

Pina Colada (~250 cals)

about 1/2 cup of frozen bananas

8oz almond/coconut milk

a few pieces of fresh pineapple

1 scoop of vanilla protein powder

(no ice - the banana makes the smoothest, thickest shake ever!)

Chocolate Banana smoothie (~350 cals)

1/2 cup frozen banana

8oz chocolate almond milk

1 scoop of chocolate protein powder

the chocolate milk is 120-130 cals per 8oz

the almond/coco milk is 60 cals per 8oz

coffee is calorie free

bananas have about 100 cals per small banana, I use about half

my protein powder is about 130ish per scoop

The Almond and soy milks are lactose free which has been an amazing revelation for me. I never tested it, but I am willing to wager that I have been lactose intolerant for years. I can get away with white cheeses, but rich dairy and milk-based products have become specifically difficult for me since my VSG (probably before, but it was often confused with eating too much or the wrong foods)

I try to round my shakes out to about 250 cals, but they are fat free, high in protein and all of the carbs are derived from the fruit with just a bit from the milk. They are so smooth and rich, they keep me full (I'm still 6' 1" and 210lbs) for hours - sometimes I can't even finish them.

Anyway, if you don't do anything else, try freezing the banana and mixing it into your shake in lieu of ice for a smooth and delicious shake. It's totally worth the extra 50-100 calories.

I'm still kicking butt and really having a good time with my new slimmer physique. I hope you all are doing awesome! 

MuttLover
on 3/26/13 10:33 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I don't do fruit shakes very often (but need a banana every once in while for the potassium!) -- but here's another couple of hints:

1. Freeze any leftover strawberries -- or keep a bag in the freezer.  The strawberry/banana combo is amazing.

2. I toss in some Fage 0%, a little vanilla and some pure sucralose powder (just a bit to offset the tartness of the yogurt).

3. If you just pulverize the frozen bananas and frozen strawberries with a little protein powder and yogurt - you get a soft serve ice creamy kind of treat! 

4. Silk also makes an almond milk that has 30 calories per cup and is in the milk case at the store.  

I am shocked that a protein coffee or a protein shake can "hold me" for 3-4 hours!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

MuttLover
on 3/26/13 10:33 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

PS -- you look great!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

ArmyWife29
on 3/26/13 11:37 pm - GA

Yum!  I'm going to bookmark this post, Thanks!  Also, you can add a cup of baby spinach to any of these and get some good fiber too for very few calories and carbs

Ht 5'4HW 232  GW 138

Christine Heusinger
on 3/27/13 12:11 am - GA

Armywife, how DO you bookmark a post??

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

Faye56
on 3/27/13 12:02 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with

Yumm...sounds good!

Is the protein powder you buy at Costco lactose free?

Thanks for sharing.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

Christine Heusinger
on 3/27/13 12:17 am - GA

Thank you for these great ideas! I'm printing them and will try them soon!

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views