how long where you out of work?

donnamy3sons
on 4/1/13 5:47 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

How long were you out of work after a sleeve? I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts. I currently have a lap band and it has been deemed "failed" by my surgeon. He has written his note and submitted to my insurance company so now I wait. Just wondering how long to expect to be out, as with the band I was back in 1 week, no problem....thanks!

SarahI
on 4/1/13 8:33 pm - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

my doctors didn't want me to return to wor****il after my first check up, which was nearly 2 weeks after my surgery.  So i had 3 weeks off.  I felt i could have gone back to work after a week and a half tho.  But it also depends on your body and healing.  I have a desk job and work 11 hour days, and my first week back, i was so tired when i got home that i didn't even make it to my bed to fall asleep.  Take what you can, and try to find ways to build up spurts of energy in between your schedule.  Good luck to you and i hope all goes well for you!

SARAH

downhome
on 4/1/13 10:44 pm
Two weeks and that was more than enough!
AshleyL
on 4/2/13 1:04 am
VSG on 03/13/13
I am a nurse as well and tonight is my first night back, it will be 3 weeks tomorrow since I was sleeved

maga63
on 4/2/13 9:17 am

I'm a nurse also and I bet you know the answer already....it all depends on the individual and type of job. I have a desk job now, alternating with meetings and pt interviews,  and work an average of 10 hours/day. I found that focusing was an issue and sitting upright also tired me out. if you are a bedside nurse, work in a hospital or LTC, i would say take all the time you can afford to take, because once back, you are stuck. Do you lift, push, stand for a long time? Can you return to modified duties? I saved my PTO hours and took 3 weeks off and i was glad i did. Good Luck!

Mary

donnamy3sons
on 4/2/13 12:12 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

I am a bedside nurse and work my 3, 12 hour shifts in a row, so yes on my feet all night and work in L&D so busy, lots of physical duties. I was hoping for at least 4-6 weeks. I have short term disability so it will pay me. glad to know it wasn't so bad that you were back to work @ 3 weeks. I have always considered myself tough when it came to pain:) can't wait to get an answer and move forward....

maga63
on 4/2/13 8:46 pm
Lol... I also thought of myself as having a high pain threshold and after reading of some people posting being back to work in a week, I thought " that will be me, one week, plenty!".... Not quite!! I needed my full 3 weeks, and again, if $ is not a factor.... Why do we push ourselves so? Take the time to let your body recover, become accustomed to diet and fluid requirements and compliance. It's easy to get busy and forget to drink and take supplements etc , etc..... Just like we nurse don't get to the bathroom for hours and hours!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views