Under eating your sleeve......Please explain!

Married2005
on 4/9/13 3:46 am - NJ

I've heard of under eating your sleeve to maximizes weight loss but I never truly understood what this is, how it works and if there are any pro's and con's to it and does it work?

Anyone care to share?

Shagdoll
on 4/9/13 3:49 am

For me, basically it just means eating until satisfied not full.  Measuring your food helps with this too.  The pro is that you won't stretch your sleeve by under eating but the 1 con for me is that I have to eat more frequently and sometimes that's not always convenient when I'm working.  BUT it's something worth practicing most if not all of the time, it will only help in the long run. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

vogue
on 4/9/13 4:06 am, edited 4/9/13 4:06 am
VSG on 08/30/12

it means self control...

specifically for me it means, with a normal meal,  I eat .25 lbs of meat... 4 ounces... and stop weather I can go on or not...  if Im still hungry then I go on to healthy carbs/veggies... usually another ounce or 2...then whether I want to or not I STOP!!    most times I dont make it even this far but on the occasion I do, I STOP!!

just because you CAN eat more does it mean you should!!

MuttLover
on 4/9/13 4:24 am
VSG on 11/14/12

For me, it means measuring out a portion and eating that.  My nut says to eat until you have a feeling of fullness -- but I've never had accurate cues about that pre-op.   Though post op, I have tried a couple of times recently with super dense meats -- I'll measure out a portion a little larger than I might typically have in purposely undereating -- say 4 oz instead of 3 oz.  Then pay really close attention to how I'm feeling.

I am starting to understand the "before full" cues, but for me, I only get them "early" with a pork chop (etc.), not with stews, soups, etc. 

Pros -- you are eating specific measured amounts of food, so you can more accurately track.

Cons -- you aren't developing the skills of listening to your body.  But if you can't trust it -- maybe listening to it isn't the best idea!

For me, it "maximizes" weight loss (theoreticially) because I'm not overeating. 

Others have very clear signals, so this might not be a problem for them.

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Jackie T.
on 4/9/13 7:18 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I usually measure out 3 oz of meat and will sometimes only eat 2 oz and other times the full 3 oz.  I eat until I am satisfied but I don't eat more than that or I pay for it.  Sometimes it is just the difference of one bite and you can become uncomfortable.  Unfortunately, I do not always feel that satisfaction right away so I do not go back for seconds or put more than 3 oz on my plate even if my head thinks I need more.  You don['t want to eat until you are full.  Starting out, you might only put 1 oz of meat on your plate and early out it is hard for some to feel whether it is too much or not, do not pu****  At some point through this journey you will find out.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

ruggie
on 4/9/13 11:57 am - Sacramento, CA

Measure a portion of food.  Eat that portion.

It means not eating until you are full.  Remember your stomach capacity will increase in the year after surgery, and will almost double.  So if you keep eating until full, you'll slowly eat more calories each month.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

PhillyGator
on 4/10/13 12:59 am

So, I actually have a question about the under eating your sleeve and tracking portion.

I've been thinking about this the last few days after several times of not being able to finish my pre-portioned meals. How do you track your protein intake for this? A first I was going back and adjusting in myfitnesspal. But then I started wondering how do I effectively plan for my protein intake for the day if I'm consistently not finishing my servings. Do I save it for my next snack? (l laughed at that while I envisioned saving a bit of chicken for later. haha) Then my next thought was that my protein is pretty high (80-90 usually) and that a few bites less won't hurt me. But I'm just curious about how y'all deal with this.

Thanks for any input and insight.

Happy Wednesday!

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views