CHSP is a eating disorder! It is NOT ok!

Bella_Fein
on 4/10/13 10:51 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I'm sorry if half this board hates me or thinks I'm being judgmental. I am posting this out of love. Anyone on the February 2013 FB page may have seen my post today, but I feel the need to repeat it here.

Chewing and spitting (CHSP) is a eating disorder. Just like any eating disorder, it starts small and grows. "I only do it every once in a while." What would you say to a someone who is bulimic if they told you that? Even every once in a while is not ok. If you want something, you have 2 options. You can take a bite, chew it, swallow it, and move on. Or you can just move on without it. Do not go from one extreme (what got us to the point of surgery) to another. It is not worth it.

If you have never done it, don't start. If you have done it a couple times, then stop. Don't think "that wont happen to me", it can. If you have this problem, please get help.

Article

Your Body's Response to Chewing and Spitting

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Jls8877
on 4/10/13 12:00 pm
I don't disagree that CHSP is abnormal behavior however the article you posted doesn't support your point. My take away from the article was that there wasn't evidence to support CHSP had a negative impact on insulin. Did I miss something?
In my opinion, CHSP is an emotional issue. It needs to be worked through with a counselor. That said, I often need to spit out a last bite when I recognize I've taken one too many. I think those are 2 separate issues though.
Bella_Fein
on 4/10/13 12:21 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I don't think your scenario is the same.

You can look at chewing and spitting in same way that people consider weed a gateway drug. This "abnormal behavior" tends to go hand and hand with other disorders and doing this can lead to other extreme measures of getting to taste something without dealing with the ramifications. While the study I posted doesn't support the fact that CHSP has a negative impact on insulin, it does give information to explain how your body reacts. When you put food in your mouth your body starts a process to handle that food. It releases insulin to counteract the food that is about to be digested. Nothing gets digested, the insulin was still released. This will effect your body. Do it too often, what could happen? I don't know. Maybe you will have too much insulin in your body which could cause low blood sugar which can cause many other problems. Will your body call you "the boy who cried wolf" and start producing less or no insulin? I have no clue. I don't know if that is even reasonable to think. You cannot look at this behavior and believe it to be healthy in any way. Emotional problems like you stated are still problems and can lead to greater health concerns.

My point is, doing this effects your body and can lead to more severe issues. If you don't do it, don't start. It is not ok.

Bella_Fein
on 4/10/13 12:24 pm, edited 4/10/13 12:24 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Chewing and spitting also causes the stomach to release acid to prepare for digestion. When no food comes the acid just sits there and can cause ulcers. Which our new little tummies do NOT need.

Not to break any hearts, but the same applies to gum and hard candies *runs and hides*

Sleeveless
on 4/10/13 1:03 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Good to know about the acid release!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/10/13 3:26 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Gum has been suggested as an acid reducer because it produces saliva and saliva is apparently a natural acid neutralizer. I have no idea. Just something I read.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Rubielee
on 4/10/13 12:10 pm - OR
VSG on 02/14/13

Amen sista!

MacMadame
on 4/10/13 4:21 pm - Northern, CA

I don't think it matters if chewing and spitting does bad things to your body or not. It's disordered eating and therefore you shouldn't do it.

But it does actually have some negative physical side-effects.

http://voices.yahoo.com/chew-spit-hidden-eating-disorder-326 069.html?cat=70

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Carmelita
on 4/11/13 1:00 am - Four Corners, NM

I agree...some "normal" people really take CHSP to a whole nuther dimension 19% admitted doin it a few times a week? not very much amongst normal people... People do weird things to control their weight... just like ALL of us here..take our eating disorder (obesity) needin VSG.... Pot Kettle

Id rather see a bariatric study on CHSP for post ops...if the percentage is so low in normals Im wonderin what it must be in the world of obesity...it seems soooo very uncommon post op for us tho...

I do remember a vet here....really slammed me because like Dr. Oz.... I advocate CHSP especially during the pre-post op liquid stages when the need to chew sumthin w/ texture is sooo heightened, mindlessly poppin **** in our mouths, compromise the progression in textures dietary phases..the better in the trash than in your stomach idea ....  Wells this gal here slammed the **** outta me right ..she was a few months out....comes back here a year later n says she's getting counseling for bulimia because she started SPITTIN not SWALLOWING......then almost immediately STARTED SWALLOWING ..and MAKIN HERSELF PUKE IT UP!!  ...and she still hasn't even gotten to goal!! CRAZY right!  Here she was puttin me down with a 'slippery slope' finger waggin.....maybe she jinxed herself! 

Ya know what tho 4.5 years later .....I STILL SPIT DON'T SWALLOW!...yeah the occasional oreo or whatever..but ALWAYS consistently, without fail 

NEVER swallow my gum...ok take that back I accidentally did about 4 months ago.  

NEVER swallow gristle, or tough meats, sometimes even that pig gut casing or whatever that is..like on sausages ..I can't do it. I can't chew that **** enough to break it down.

NEVER swallow raw celery fibers...I cannot break down them damn fibers.

Maybe other people do I don't know? 

Maybe somethings wrong with my teeth cuz I can't chew it enough to swallow it... I don't care if someone says I got an eating disorder , CHSP whatever...Im gonna SPIT THAT **** OUT...EVERYTIME!

n so far after DECADES of CHSP  pre-op n years post op.........I ain't bulimic, nor am I anorexic.....Pre op..my eating disorder....was MORBID OBESITY and needing medical intervention to chop off my stomach.  

Post op...Orthorexia thats it! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views