Why do we need more protein?

Sheryl G.
on 4/21/13 7:31 am - IL
VSG on 09/17/12

Do you notice any difference in how you feel when you take the B12? I haven't noticed any change. It will be interesting to see the lab results when we hit the 1-year mark this fall. :)

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/21/13 7:38 am
VSG on 10/09/12
No I really haben't noticed a difference at all either.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Bella_Fein
on 4/21/13 2:15 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Wow, good to know. I have some sublingual spray. I hope it doesn't taste bad. I think that's why I didn't take it after he told me. I figured if I didn't need it why bother if it has a bad taste. Which do you use? I saw some that are little pills that go under your tongue.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/21/13 2:17 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Yeah I use the little pills...puritan's pride I think, 500 mg or 2500 mg (once a week).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Bella_Fein
on 4/21/13 1:44 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Thank you! I think I will pick some up.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

sarapilar
on 4/21/13 3:27 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

I remember reading someone on here had wayyy too high levels of B12....or maybe I heard that in one of my bariatric support groups?

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/20/13 12:27 pm, edited 4/20/13 12:31 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Exact protein requirements are about a combination of age, sex, amount of lean muscle mass and amount/intensity of activity. (And undoubtedly other factors)

For your average person the math is done a lot more simply by multiplying current body mass by .37 per pound or .8 per kilo, giving a reasonable approximation of protein requirements for a healthy, moderately active person.

46 grams of protein is about right for a healthy, moderately active woman who weighs 125#. I doubt many of us weigh that little, and those who do are considerably more active than average, whi*****reases the protein need somewhat.

I weighed 263 on the day of my surgery. The math says that at that point I needed 97.3g per day then - thank goodness for shakes! I currently weigh 195#, making my requirement 72 grams, which is a lot compared to 46, but I'm a fair amount bigger than 125#. If I try to get by on 46 grams of protein per day while maintaining my current activity level I'm going to feel pretty crappy after awhile, since my body can't create the amino acids needed for daily growth and repair. I'll be tired, bruise easily, my hair and nails will become brittle and stop growing. My hair will fall out. (Again)

For a sedentary to moderately active woman (of any weight) there isn't much benefit in consuming a great deal more than the standard .37g per pound and there is a possibility of kidney problems, which is one of the many reasons we're told to make sure we get in our water.

You will see some people on here that take in a lot more than the base requirement. They are hopefully doing so because either their current weight requires it,(someone who weighs 300# needs a lot more than someone who weighs 125#) they are considerably more active than the average person (we have some serious athletes on this forum) or they're preparing for/ recovering from other surgeries such as plastic surgery, which requires a significant increase in protein requirement. If you ever see their food diaries, they're generally also drinking a lot more water than average.

When i looked up partial gastrectomy dietary requirements (partial gastrectomies have been around for a LONG time) I found nothing about needing extra protein, but plenty abou****ching calcium, iron and B12. I found one site quite fun to read, as it was giving advice on how to avoid losing weight after a partial gastrectomy.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

stephanieplum
on 4/20/13 1:02 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

Could you share that web sight?  Thanks!

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/20/13 2:43 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Sure. This one is pretty useful even though part of its goal is to help people not lose weight after a partial gastrectomy:
http://www.rdehospital.nhs.uk/docs/prof/thoracic_uppergi/PS%2007%20012%20001%20word.pdf

This one is drier, but interesting:
http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/medicine/divisions/digestive-health/nutrition-support-team/nutrition-articles/radiganarticle.pdf

I take extra vitamin D because I live in the Frozen North (where we got SNOW again today. Sigh) Even so, it sounds like it's another one to have my GP check on a regular basis, even with regular supplementation.

Main things besides that seem to be iron, B12, folacin and calcium. Of course, because we eat much smaller portions than most and because we're individuals it's possible to be deficient in almost anything.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

stephanieplum
on 4/20/13 10:53 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

Thank you!!!  I'm due for blood work pretty soon.  I've never taken B12  and my surgeon has never mention it.  Guess it's a question I'll be asking my doctor.  

Sorry you're getting snow:(. My husband and I rode bikes yesterday!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views