Pics as promised :) almost one year, onederland, musings

EliseG
on 4/26/13 1:05 pm - MA

Last week I promised Jenn (shagdoll) I would post some new pics as I've finally hit onederland... so here they are kiss

I won't bore you all with too many details, but I will say that this has been more of a head trip than I ever imagined. As a lot of you have seen me write about, about 5 months after surgery I was diagnosed with ITP, and as it turned out "chronic refractory" ITP. So I spent over 4 months on large doses of steroids, not able to exercise, during which time my weight loss halted. The steroids did not help, neither did the next 4 treatments they tried. They have finally found a medication that keeps my platelets at safe levels, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to be on that much longer, and that medicine also requires weekly visits to the hospital. I'm still hoping it will magically go away... which my docs say is still possible.

So, I'm close to a year out now... and no where near goal. Most of the people in my life think I should cut myself a break, but I still feel like the ultimate failure. I'm not happy where I am now, and feel like if I had tried harder while I was on the steroids, I may at least be closer to my goal. That may or may not be true. I just have to keep making decisions everyday to do things to keep myself healthy. I do believe that while I will not hit goal in record time, I sometimes think I WILL reach my goal.

I do look in the mirror and see the same girl I saw before I started this journey, but, like I said, it's a head trip :)

Some positive things: I have discovered a new love for hiking. LOVE it. My docs are mostly okay with me doing that as long as I'm careful :) I love wearing high heels again. I love not having to worry about keeping up with physical activities. My blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure are all normal. I can go to a red sox game and fit in the seat!

I encourage anyone thinking about this surgery to research, research, and research! The best thing I would say to prepare someone getting ready to do this, is that no matter how much time you spend thinking about it or how you think it will go, it will be different and most likely more difficult than you imagine.

Without further delay, here are some pics :)

Some pics of a friend and I from the game:

And some comparison photos:

I still have about 50 pounds or so to lose in order to get well within a healthy range... but I am beginning to believe in myself that I will get there :) Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and I wish everyone the best of luck on their journeys!

gabriellaz
on 4/26/13 1:10 pm - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
You look wonderful Congrats

EliseG
on 4/26/13 1:34 pm - MA

Thank you very much :)

stephanieplum
on 4/26/13 1:23 pm
VSG on 06/27/12
Gurl....you are beautiful!!! You should be very proud of yourself! I'm proud for you! With all the health issues, you are far from failure. You've done an amazing job!!! Hope your health issues resolve and know reaching goal is in your future!!!
(I'm coveting your legs!!!)

EliseG
on 4/26/13 1:35 pm - MA

Thank you!

Ha, my legs seem to be the most willing to give up the weight, lol. I definitely need a tan though! :)

natalie_rey
on 4/26/13 1:49 pm
VSG on 03/11/13 with
You look gorgeous!
EliseG
on 4/26/13 1:56 pm - MA

Thank you!!

HilaryH8103
on 4/26/13 2:28 pm - WA
You look amazing, stunning, gorgeous, beautiful & best of all happy. Congratulations on your weight loss.
Keep it up, you're doing terrific!!

Hilary
EliseG
on 4/27/13 1:09 am - MA
Thanks!!

sarapilar
on 4/26/13 3:37 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

You are doing just great!  My daughter had Toddler ITP. It was very scary and came with lots, and lots, of drama (she was covered with bruises).  She go platelet blood tranfusions...about 2 or 3 of them - not steroids.  Did your doctors ever tell you about that option?  Luckily Toddler ITP clears up fairly quickly and it should never return.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views