Want to get back on the proverbial wagon

barbara101
on 4/28/13 8:10 am - somewhere, OH
Hello,

I am 4.5 years out of surgery. I have gained 30 lbs back.

I am bound and determined to get this right.

Please give me advice on the first step and menu I should have daily.

I WILL SUCCEED!!!!

Barbara   

mdusha
on 4/28/13 8:28 am - FL
VSG on 12/07/12

Well, I'm not a vet, but I have some ideas.

First of all, congrats on saying enough is enough and reaching out for support. That is the best first step you could make!

I would recommend getting back to the basics. Try logging everything you eat. I use My Fitness Pal and it works like a top. I'm Mdusha there if you'd like to add me as a friend. It has a social network feature, so you have the ability to have friends and support each other.

Also, go back to the rules if you've strayed: dense protein first, no drinking five mins to a half hour before meals,  no drinking with meals and until an hour after you eat.

i generally eat 650-800 calories a day and work to keep my carbs under 40 grams...less if I can. 

Stay in touch here as well. I find it really helps, even if you only lurk a bit.

You have a great attitude and I'm sure you'll succeed!

Check out my blog at www.selfimageafterweightloss.com

shrinking_sarah
on 4/28/13 9:06 am - CA

If you do a search I believe Elina posted on this topic not long ago.  I am so new that I'm not sure I could help--but going back to basics and tracking are good places to start.  Best of luck to you!

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

heathermc44
on 4/28/13 2:39 pm - Bremerton, WA

Hi,

I am almost 3 years out and I am also experiencing a gain.  I've gained 10 pounds in the past 4 months and I too am bound and determined to get it off but it seems everything I try is not having much of an effect.  This is what I've done and am doing.  I started logging everything I eat.  I too, use my fitness pal.  You can search for me on there.  User name is heathermcclellan.  I also went to the nutritionist and have been following her guidelines.  I've increased my exercise to no less than 5 days a week and I try to lift 3 days a week. 

These are the guidelines my nutt gave me:  Increase fiber to 25 grams a day, don't eat as much protein (around 65 grams) and increase calories to no less than 1200.  She wants me to eat more fruits and vegetables and stop drinking shakes.  She said this far out we should be eating real, nutritious food, not fake protein bars or shakes.  I know everything she said goes against the rules for weightloss but there are reasons she wants me to do this.  I see her in about 10 days.  I have not noticed any change in the scale but I do feel better, and my bowels are working more normally - LOL! 

loverofcats
on 4/29/13 2:39 am

Glad that you are feeling better. I had a trainer tell me, that it can take up to 10 days to see results on the scale from diet and exercise. At least you stopped the weight gain. That is the first step.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Ms Shell
on 4/29/13 12:34 am - Hawthorne, CA

Tap into your WHYs you had surgery.

Tap into your WHYs you want to lose the 30lbs.

Tap into your WHYs did you gain the weight (what changed and unchange it).

Ms Shell

loverofcats
on 4/29/13 2:37 am

I am also on my fitness pal. User name is birdgal.

i focus on high protein , moderate carbs, moderate fat. I am trying to increase my fiber intake.

gail

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views