14 days post op, Is this normal, getting discouraged

Strawberri10
on 5/3/13 2:32 pm - NC
VSG on 04/19/13
i had my 1st post op doctor appointment yesterday and my doctor says I am doing well so I was really proud. I'm getting in my protein and my liquids just fine, but the scale has not moved in 3 days. As a matter of fact, I gained 2-3 pounds. I know its early in my journey, but I don't understand how I can gain weight when I am still on clear and full liquids only. Could someone please share with me how they maximised their weight loss and if this is normal? Thanks in advance!

SURGERY DATE: 4/19/2013 HW: 278, SW: 268

Rita M.
on 5/3/13 2:47 pm - Webster, MA

Hi there,

well fluid retention is one reason. Also, the body needs to hold on to whatever it has cause it is in starvation mode so to speak. If you stall it is normal and weight gain is also normal. It will take maybe another few days and then all of a sudden you will start losing again. Also, look at inches lost not only weight loss. 

Believe me, it will all work out Hon. 

Hugs.

Rita

Calking
on 5/3/13 4:20 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Actually the first response was close to a good answer.  Everybody experiences a stall at about three weeks out give or take a week.  Most will call it the three week stall.  Very common.  

You go through many cycles.  Rapid loss ... slowing loss ... stall .... rapid loss ... slowing loss ... stall ... so on.  Stalls are great as the previous person mentioned you body is catching up.  The best part is during this catchup time you will be having your weight redistributed throughout your body and this will cause the loss of inches in places.

Some have suggested that an increase in fluids and proteins can break these stalls but I ask you ... isn't it just as good as loosing the pounds to actually also loose the inches. 

My best advice is to start learning the art of patience.  The stalls in some aspects can be frustrating, but also fantastic in the loss of inches.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Strawberri10
on 5/3/13 4:33 pm - NC
VSG on 04/19/13
Thanks for your responses. I am trying to be patient. It is kind of hard not to be fearful that this will fail as I have failed many times at losing weight before. I would loose the first 20 pounds really quickly then stop losing and start gaining, which is what is happening now...very scary to feel like I am on a familiar roller coaster😱. I WILL suceed this time! Ijust want to make sure I am doing everything right to ensure success.

LilPMommy
on 5/3/13 5:57 pm
I had a similar feeling. I was sleeved 4/23 therefore I'm 12 days post op and I can drink like I've always been able to drink, nooooo problems. Doc started me on purée and it feels like nothing is there to stop me frm over eating. I was and have been discouraged as well. I prayed to God about it and with the advice of OH I'm learning to not look for failure but to stick to my plan and give it time to work properly. Be patient......success is coming our way!
Joe G.
on 5/3/13 9:04 pm - Mission, TX
RNY on 05/12/20

Hi LilPMommy,

I too was sleeved on 4/23 and still on stage  2 and do not progress to the puree stage until the 12th of May, seems to be the toughest part for me so far. I am not very hungry most of the time. My diet consists of protein shakes , pudding ,Jello, cream of whatever soups, broth and sugar free popsicles.  I must say its getting boring since thats what I am limited to. Normally I cannot finish the serving.Very interested in your success since we share the same date

Thanks,

Joe

LilPMommy
on 5/4/13 6:38 am
Joe, so far I've lost 8 pds. I can drink like a fish and I feel like I can eat like a hoarse but I don't know cuz I'm afraid to try. Whenever I do eat pudding, jello, yogurt, ect... I feel no restriction whatsoever. So I don't know what's going on there but I am losing. Stay positive and make it work for u! I'm trying!!!!
pedirn06
on 5/4/13 12:35 am
VSG on 01/26/12
Your body has been through a whole lot. It probably thinks you are trying to starve it to death at this point-trying to hold onto every ounce of food you eat. Just stick with your plan and try weighing weekly for a little while
pedirn06

Strawberri10
on 5/4/13 2:34 am - NC
VSG on 04/19/13
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! The needle on the scale FINALLY moved! That along with your encouraging words was very helpful. I am going through this whole process alone and you guys have been awesome in giving me well needed support. 😉😘😀

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views