My Thoughts

BeginsToday
on 5/6/13 5:13 am

Good Day All,

I too have been reading the blogs this past few days on the topic of being helpful in advice or not. I like to read the varying opinions and taking the information from others that fit into my journey to health. If I don't agree with something said, I just don't give it credit for me, but I understand it may work for others. We may all be on the same journey,  just keeping to our own paths. What I find bothers me is when I get up the nerve to post a question or observation and no one answers, this is disheartening.(other forum)

A couple days ago, I asked about carbs and how to de-carb. I realize that saying no to them is the best way to stop but it is not clicking in the brain. I am 6 months out, lost 111 lbs, never had a stall, haven't lost any hair and even when I "cheat" either planned or un-planned, I still see a positive loss. I am having a tough time getting my head wrapped around the changes and I know that the journey will only get more difficult now that the honeymoon stage is ending. I went to Mexico for the surgery, have no access to a therapist and use the posts here as both an information gathering place and a moral booster. I too hope the vets don't disappear because they often help us understand the journey and all the obstacles that can come our way.

Keep well all, enjoy the journey.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/13 5:17 am

When you are taking carbs out of your diet, you need to expect a few days of discomfort, it's about four days for me.  During those days, increase your protein, and even your fat to help you get through the tougher time.  Do not allow yourself to become hungry, have fiber rich veggies on hand to help you and don't forget to increase your water.  You can do this. 

datachick
on 5/6/13 5:34 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Hi--if you add more detail to your original post,  like the info you have above, it would help a lot, and probably not heed the standard "are you crazy? just quit eating them!" posts. I didn't know you went to Mexico for surgery, don't have a nutritionist or surgeon to consult with (you really should get one), that you realize "saying no to carbs" is the best thing to do, or what you were exactly looking for, which is more like "how did you get your head to change", not "what should I do to quit eating carbs". Sometimes is how the post is worded, or what's not in there that needs to be, that causes issues with replies.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Linda B.
on 5/6/13 5:34 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I agree with Elena about keeping good snacks on hand. I also use this advise on PMS days because I get super hungry. When I'm having a tough time, I will eat cheese sticks with no nitrate deli meat because the combo fills me quickly. Yes, it is a bit salty and has a good amount of fat, but it beats reaching for a cookie. I also keep raw veggies on hand that I eat with homemade dips made with Greek yogurt. If you feel like you must have something sweet, try a few (just a few) berries with Greek yogurt. It will give you some protein and help kill the cravings. Let us know how you do.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/13 5:55 am

When I am forced to de-carb there are some strategies that I use to help me get through the process.

1. I rid my diet of ALL refined sugars (you'd be surprised where they lurk - chili, bbq sauce, many yogurts). This for me is paramount above all.

2. I do not eat any grain products during the the de-carb process- NONE.

3. I up my protein and I eat an extra meal in the day to ward off any potential hunger. I also make sure that I have cucumbers, broccoli, steamed artichokes and carrots on hand. (While carrots are not the best low carb choice, I find that 1.5 oz of baby carrots in the afternoon dipped in NF Fage yogurt seasoned with my favorite Penzy Chip and Dip spice really helps me get through the afternoon cravings). These crunchy low cal and high fiber veggies are very filling and help my feelings of satiety.

4. When the craving**** (the first two days are very hard for me) I tell myself over and over that this is temporary. I will also drink 8 oz of water and try to find something else to occupy my thoughts until the craving passes.

5. I do allow myself yogurt as lactose does not seem to have the same effect on me as the refined carbs. This, of course, is a sticky wicket and very individual. Unless you know milk carbs don't bother you, I would suggest getting rid of the lactose carbs, as well.

6. My goal is to stay below 40 grams of carbs - I include fiber carbs in my total count. I don't do net carbs. Again, that's my strategy. You may be a net carb person. Up to you how you go with this one.

Good luck. Remember the first 2-4 days can be very tough, but it's just temporary.

SophieNJ
on 5/6/13 6:00 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I am curious as to what type of carbs you are eating... I understand you are 4 moths out longer than I am.  After surgery, I was on liquids/full liquids/purees and still am.  I decided to stay on this stage a few weeks longer, so hubby can catch up to me (he was sleeved 6 weeks after me).  The only carbs I have are in the protein drinks, refried beans, etc.  Did you start to eat bread/rice/pasta again?  I do not know if those items will be incorporated into our new eating yet...or, if ever.  How about going back to an earlier stage to break the carbs?

I also hope the vets stick around....if it weren't for them, I also would not know what to expect after the honeymoon stage...hell, didn't even know there was a honeymoon stage.  you are wise to take everything in and keep to your own path.

You have come so far already, 111 lbs!!! That wasn't easy, you did it with hard work...111 lbs gone...that's the good news.  the bad news - it's still going to be hard work.  But with a light at the end of the tunnel.  Keep you eye on the results you want.

best of luck to you

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views