Is there anyone like me?

mrs.millan
on 5/7/13 4:23 am - Petaluma, CA
Just wanting to connect with anyone who has had a gastric sleeve and also has uc or has a ileostomy....I have been having problems with hydration. And would like some pointers, and see what similarities of issues and advice. thank u
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
mapietras
on 5/7/13 10:54 am - MI

This isn't exactly the same. I am 3 weeks out with a VSG and I used to have an ileostomy. An ileostomy can create hydration issues all by itself. I noticed I had a lot more urine when I had my ileostomy taken down. I'm having a hard time getting all my water as it is, so I just imagine what it is like with an ileostomy included. My husband is a physician and he used to hydrate me at home with an IV and saline solution. This was while I going through chemo for colorectal cancer and I had a port at the time so it was easy to hook me up to a bag of saline solution. It was hard maintaining hydration in that situation too. After I had my ileostomy taken down, I traded one set of problems for another. It turns out I have a stricture at the anastamosis site where my colon was reattached to what was left of my rectum. I wound up with a stricture at that site. Regular enemas are a part of my life now. The stricture has been dilated twice, but still presents problems. I also wound up with a bowel obstruction at the ileostomy take down site. My surgeon fixed it, when he did my sleeve. This is probably TMI, but it is my life and it is what I deal with every day. I'm not complaining...its just my life.

How are you at drinking water? Is it difficult? I have a friend with an ileostomy and Chrons disease. She goes regularly to a clinic for an IV hydration visit...she goes whenever she needs it. It is inconvienent, but sometimes we just have to do what we have to do. She also adds electrolyte beverages into her diet every day too. I used to do that too.

Today I have a small timer that I attach to my clothing. I have it set to go off every 15 minutes. It reminds me to drink my water. I don't know if this helps, but I sure wish you the best. Let me know If you figure out any other solutions.:)

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

mrs.millan
on 5/7/13 3:27 pm - Petaluma, CA
Thank u for that!! I have huge issues with deyhydration, i end up with having to go the hospital 2_3 times a year and i am trying to aviod that. I just started drinking smar****er but between eating and drinking i never get enough water in. I am 2 years out from my vsg but i still have alot of restriction. I have to ask my doc if they have a iv clinic around here where maybe i can just go to when im dehydrated besides just going to the hospital
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
mapietras
on 5/8/13 2:06 am - MI

I so much wish you good luck!

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op