BENEFITS OF WEIGHT TRAINING

Greg M.
on 5/10/13 7:19 pm - Cincinnati, OH

I’ve always done aerobic exercise, usually Step Aerobics.  I love the music, friends and the motivational atmosphere of participating in group exercise.  I push myself harder and I’m more faithful to the routine than if I did it on my own.  I’ve tried running on the treadmill or doing the elliptical machine, but I get bored so I tend not to be as faithful to these activities long term.

A chronic foot injury has forced me to back off of my 30-year aerobics habit in search of an alternative exercise.  So I convinced my wife to start weight/strength training with me before work.  You see, she can’t do it after work because she’s just too tired.  She is a nurse and is on her feet all day often working late and way past the end of her shift.  So we have been doing the weight training thing early in the morning at least 3 – 4 times per week.  Admittedly, the thought of getting up a 5:30 AM to exercise before work was not very exciting, but after we got the hang of it wasn’t bad at all.  It’s really nice to spend that time together, we get a chance to talk and share each other’s company before work…we love it!

I can’t believe just how much we love it and the HUGE benefits that we’re seeing just after 2 months.  My blood pressure and sugar are even lower than after my surgical weight loss; and my core strength has improved tremendously.  These are benefits that I really didn’t expect.  The best part is that we’re not lifting heavy weights…we do light weights with multiple repetitions.  Sometimes we mix it up with multiple sets, change the order of the machines or use different sets of machines on different days.  We find that this variety and not straining with heavy weights keeps the ‘dread’ of doing it away.

So find a buddy and give it a try.  Even if you don’t have a gym membership, pushups and sit-ups, leg lifts and a light pair of dumb bells can work wonders.  I usually don’t go any heavier than 12 pounds for the hand weights.  It’s getting light early and the temperatures are warming up nicely.  So get fit VSG’ers and firm up that flabby body with all your loose sink…hope everyone has a great weekend!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Jls8877
on 5/10/13 10:20 pm
Good info! BTW- I'm a native Cincinnatian (west sider).

I have been running and even did the 10K portion of the Pig last weekend. I really need to add weights or a cross fit like routine because the daily running is becoming harder on my knees. Do you or your wife ever you resistance bands? We are actually moving back to Cincy (from NKY) a few weeks so I don't want to join a gym right now.
Greg M.
on 5/11/13 10:54 am - Cincinnati, OH

You know what they say about living on the west side...drive to work with the sun in your eyes and drive home with it in your eyes as well, haha!

The aerobic instructors use resistance bands all the time at the end of the aerobic segment of class.  There are several different types of classes available beside the step class.  There is a bosu/core strength class, a sculpting class and several variations of both.  I do not use bands in my weight routine, but they are an excellent tool for toning and stretching.  Easy to transport so you can take them with you even if you travel for work.

Good for you for running the Pig.  My foot got aggravated when I added running to my workouts :(  It made me sad because I really loved it.  Keep up the good work!

Jls8877
on 5/11/13 11:59 am
That's about the nicest thing they say about the West Side! But hey, family and friends are so important and we couldn't convince them to move out. So after being "gone" for 8 yrs, we just bought a house back on the West Side!

Thanks for the resistance band info. I need to change up my routine. I do so much cardio and not ANY weights. As soon as we settle in, I will be finding a place to work out!
loverofcats
on 5/10/13 11:48 pm

I have been weight training for the past 2.5 years. Nothing changes your body more than weight training and it helps to preserve your muscle mass, which ultimately helps your metabolism. For even more core strength and preserving your muscle mass, you really do need to increase the weight that you are lifting. It is the natural progression for increasing strength, power and endurance. I work with a trainer and she has me working in cycles. I don't know why women are afraid of weight lifting. Women do not bulk up, because they don't have the hormones to grow large muscles. It is the da bomb and women are missing a vital part of preventing osteoporosis and maintaining lean muscle mass. It does wonders for reducing body fat.  I still have loose skin, but it would be so much worse without the weight training.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

sarapilar
on 5/11/13 12:11 am
VSG on 02/21/13

My trainer -  who is also a fully certified, registered Dietitian - couldn't agree more with what you've posted.  He tells me that he would much rather I do weights than any aerobic exercises, if he could choose only one thing for me to do.

I am working on it!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

loverofcats
on 5/11/13 12:22 am

I definitely get more benefit from the weight training, but cardio also helps. Circuits and supersets also increase your heart rate, so cardio is incorporated into the weight training. It really, really helps to mix things up. I do love my spin classes:).

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Joe G.
on 5/10/13 11:59 pm - Mission, TX
RNY on 05/12/20

Greg,

Thank you for posting this! i am 19 post surgery but certainly looking forward to weight training since I know that it continues to burn calories even after you have finished working out. all I can do now is walk and it does get a little boring. My wife is a Nurse as well and a great coach! 

Thanks,

Joe

Julie L.
on 5/11/13 12:06 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

Weight training is GREAT,  but I disagree with doing low weights with lots of reps.  If you don't stress your muscle,  you're not getting anywhere.  You can lift 12 pounds,  a bag of groceries can be 12 pounds.  Lifting it 10 times or 1000 times won't help you as much as doing 8-12 reps of a high weight that you can ONLY lift 8-12 times.   THAT will signal to your muscle that you need more strength,  not doing tons of reps with weights that are too light.   I highly suggest investing in a few sessions with a personal trainer,  I work out with one twice a week and it's been great,  she kicks my butt and makes sure I don't wimp out.

Greg M.
on 5/11/13 6:44 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Yeah, I wasn't very clear on that.  My regular weight training on most of the machines is between 80 - 100 pounds.  I do enough reps until I can't do any more.  I strain my muscles until the point of failure on most occasions.  But I stay away from heavy lifting...the amount of weight that I could only lift for a few reps.  I've hurt myself on multiple occasions lifting that much weight and then I can't do anything until I heal up.  I lift enough weight that I can comfortably do 15 - 20 reps, lower the weight by 10 - 20 #'s and do another set (or two). 

I find that if I don't go too heavy, I don't dread lifting and I'm more consistent.  Also, I can lift more frequently, two or three days in a row before I have to take a day off.   I change the machines that I use to focus on different muscle groups so they get a good rest in between work days.  I focus more on arms one day then legs.  I do abs every day.

The light hand weights I use laying on the bench to stretch out my triceps below the bench level.  I have a rotator cuff injury from lifting heavy weights and the light hand weights are good to stretch out and rehab that area.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views