Slow weight loss

A. Robinson
on 5/14/13 6:49 am - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13

Yesterday made me 2 wks post op. I have only lost 10 lbs. My starting weight before the pre op diet was 247. I lost 12 lbs on before surgery. I am now at 224.9. I wonder if I am not doing something right. It seems others have lost weight quicker than me. My surgeon told me not to worry as much about protein the first 2 wks & focus on staying hydrated. I have actually been dehydrated the past 2 days. My primary care physician did blood work yesterday and it came back great. I am trying today to drink more!!! And start focusing on the protein more. Am I behind on losing weight??? I have actually been walking about 30 minutes 3x a week too....

kitsyb
on 5/14/13 6:58 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12

I bet if you did a search in this forum for "slow weight loss" you would get most every person that had the surgery post right after surgery that they think they are a slow loser and don't seem to be losing as fast as everyone else.  Then if you looked at those same posters a couple of months later they are losing like crazy and ecstatic about their weight loss.

A couple of things:

don't compare yourself to others

take your measurements because even though you are not losing weight you are more than likely losing inches

You have just gone through major surgery where nerves and blood supply to your stomach were cut.  Your stomach is still swollen.

Your body thinks you are going through a starvation mode and will try at this point to hold on to every calorie your consume.

Hang in there because you are going to be going downhill on this roller coaster ride soon!

fat2fit2012
on 5/14/13 8:31 am - FL
VSG on 03/05/13

LOL Kitsyb!!!! 

" bet if you did a search in this forum for "slow weight loss" you would get most every person that had the surgery post right after surgery that they think they are a slow loser and don't seem to be losing as fast as everyone else.  Then if you looked at those same posters a couple of months later they are losing like crazy and ecstatic about their weight loss."

That is me you are describing :)

~Fat2Fit2012                    

Pre-Op Weight- 234 | Surgery Weight- 222.2 | Current Weight- 175.5 | Goal Weight- 130

fat2fit2012
on 5/14/13 7:57 am - FL
VSG on 03/05/13

You are doing great!  I started at 234 pre-op and was 222.2 at surgery.  I only lost 7 pounds my first two weeks.  I am averaging 3 pounds a week which is what my surgeon says is their average. 

I think you are right on track!!  Keep up the great work and get that H2O in

~Fat2Fit2012                    

Pre-Op Weight- 234 | Surgery Weight- 222.2 | Current Weight- 175.5 | Goal Weight- 130

Pobearsam7
on 5/14/13 10:40 am

Don't compare yourself at all to anyone... I dropped the pounds very slow and if lost about 8 pounds a month as soon as I had the vsg

Kelly                

justpete
on 5/14/13 1:04 pm, edited 5/14/13 1:05 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

10 in 2 weeks is NOT slow.. plus you are a lightweight to begin with.  10lbs ... that's 5% of your body weight in 2 weeks!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

TeashaLorna
on 5/14/13 1:17 pm, edited 5/14/13 10:09 pm - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Please Please don't measure your journey by anyone else's yard stick. You will get there when you are supposed to. Your body is going through so many changes and will let go of the weight as it can. Just follow what your Dr and Nut tell you and you will be successful. I too worried about my slow weight loss and then one day I just said stop it and enjoy the journey I stopped weighing myself. I only weigh once or twice a month. I am a slow loser I had lost 57 lbs pre surgery that took from Jan 2010 to Jun 2012. Had my surgery in Jun 12 and now I have lost just shy of 170 lbs total. You will get to where you want to be just put one foot in front of the other and do it one day at time. Take the time to learn about your body and the foods/nutrients you are eating.

Father Don
on 5/15/13 1:00 am - Charleston, SC

ONLY?!?!?!?! Get RID of that defeatist word!

Think make 1 year ago, if you lost 5 pounds a week on any other diet, wouldn't you be shouting it from the hilltops?  I bet you would (and did)....

5 pounds a week is AWESOME!  get rid of that 4 letter word!  To me, it's dirier and nastier than any other 4 letter word....

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views