That other, new addiction...

pineview01
on 5/30/13 8:59 am - Davison, MI

Need to talk to therapist about this!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

edelu
on 5/30/13 1:22 am - los angeles, CA

Hey,

Stop ****tin' on the fun train.

slimpickins5280
on 5/30/13 1:29 am - CO

Hello, my luva! Your ears must have been burning. I was planning to send you a PM to see how the **** you are doing. I'm gonna PM you right now.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/13 1:12 am

I think that this is a reasonable pledge.  I too love to shop and really, I am not motivated by whether or not I have enough clothes.   Of course I have enough, I have enough for a small, (really tiny) army.  :)  I just really love new clothes and shopping and I love the way I feel when I buy something beautiful.  One of the things I do that has really helped me keep this from becoming a financial issue is that I love buying things at second hand stores.  I love the chase, so this makes it even more enjoyable. 

slimpickins5280
on 5/30/13 1:26 am - CO

Yes, I've found that I love the chase, too. I love finding a pair of Ms. Me jeans that fit perfectly (usually a little long because I have stubs for legs) and I get to buy them for $40 instead of $110 retail.

I also make a list (I loves my lists) of things that I want to add to my closet. I want a pair of black boots. I want a couple of more nice shirts. I also make sure that anything I buy goes with more than one outfit.

OP - There are definitely ways to enjoy shopping and not have it become a transfer addiction.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

mnmommaof2
on 5/30/13 1:35 am
VSG on 11/23/12

I shop way more often now that I can actually find cute clothes that fit...  but I am an avid thrift store shopper and love a great bargain!  One of my favorite tricks is using the consignment store... I give them the sizes I've grown out of, they sell them and put my cash in an account where I can go shop for smaller sizes at their store and not spend a dime.  Then because all my clothes came from the consignment shop there is a really good chance they'll take them back when I'm ready for new sizes and the cycle continues!

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

sarapilar
on 5/30/13 3:53 am, edited 5/30/13 3:54 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Lots of people like myself get into debting, spending and shopping as the new addiction.  This is true for me during the many times I lost weight.  Lots of people in my 12 Step group did this too, traded addictions.  Very common, very sad.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

jenn227
on 5/30/13 4:52 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

I'm getting bad, too, and only 2 months out!  I had to get rid of so much of my old crap, that I did need alot, but I'm spending too much on clothes that I will hopefully outgrow soon!  I've put myself in time out as of yesterday :)

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

Sleeveless
on 5/30/13 6:11 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

You have totally nailed exactly my shopping issues too. I don't think I can even take the June pledge because I do legitimately need smaller work clothes. At the same time, I haven't yet worn some of the new stuff I've gotten. I don't want to have to give them away with tags still attached.

Damn these transfer addictions!

sarapilar
on 5/30/13 7:44 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I think shopping at Goodwill and consignment shops is a good idea, I went to the Goodwill last week and got an awesome pair of fancy, name brand dark wash jeans.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 387 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 420 views