That other, new addiction...

louisamay
on 5/30/13 12:31 am
VSG on 04/27/12

I'm going to take the pledge.

I will not buy a single piece of clothing in June.

This does not include underwear (which I need) and shoes (which I need).

But I have got to put on the brakes on clothes.  There are two things going on here. One--I have a few things I wear a lot because I like them so much. Two--I have things I've never worn. (See One.)

And I'm spending too much money that is way too easily justified. But I'm shopping to make myself feel better sometimes, and I'm denying myself future pleasures. Don't I want to be able to buy things that are cute or newly trendy next fall? Next spring? Without feeling guilty because I have so much already?

So I'm not going to buy anything new in June.

Maybe I'll even wear some of the stuff I haven't worn yet!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

mapietras
on 5/30/13 12:37 am - MI

Good for you! When I get as close to goal as you are, I think I will be faced with the same dilemma.

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

grayC
on 5/30/13 12:38 am
VSG on 05/01/13
But it's just SOOO NICE to buy a pretty shirt that has an L
with NO X or XX in front of it!!!

pineview01
on 5/30/13 8:41 am - Davison, MI

Isn't that the truth.  I just bought a couple dozen and need to STOP!  I never was a shopper in my life, hated it.

But, I found some 14 pants at LB that fit my waist & butt.  That never happens, (except there old jeans in blue.)

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

mickeymantle
on 5/30/13 12:51 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

so your a shopaholic , do you really need new shoes , or do you just want them, do you really need new undies or can you go commando  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

slimpickins5280
on 5/30/13 1:00 am - CO

That's male speak for "I have no ******g idea why women buy ****"

I'm guessing you stand by the door and direct the salesperson to the clothes you want. Then you meet said salesperson at the cash register to pay. This is all done while the timer on your watch is going so that you can see if you can beat your previous time for the record in fastest purchase.

Commando is your answer to her issue? Really?

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

ArmyWife29
on 5/30/13 12:54 am - GA

I am making the same pledge!  Seriously, I'm headed to Old Navy to buy 2 pajama tops, and that is IT until goal....I'm so close!  I will only purchase stuff I really need, like a dress for a special occasion....even then I've been shopping around on Rent the Runway!  It really is true that once you hit the smaller sizes they go down much quicker...I've only been wearing a size 10 for like 3 weeks and they are already loose!

Ht 5'4HW 232  GW 138

slimpickins5280
on 5/30/13 1:02 am - CO

Just a suggestion, but you might want to take a good hard look at why you are starting to use shopping as a comfort. Do you really need a comfort? What emotions are you trying to medicate with shopping?

The problem isn't the shopping. JMO, of course.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

ArmyWife29
on 5/30/13 1:13 am - GA

I think that's a great suggestion Slim, especially because transfer addiction is a real thing.  I would not say that I am addicted to shopping, but it is really fun for me to buy new cute clothes....maybe because I used to be too fat to wear anything trendy and cute, and I certainly stayed far away from bright colors.  Personally, I don't get any more of a "high" from shopping than I do from running a faster mile this week than I did last week.  If fact I'd say the running achievements give me much more emotional satisfaction....but it doesn't make me want cute clothes any less.  I guess it's about learning the true difference between a "need" and a "want" and not giving in to the impulse buying habit right?  However, I do think people can enjoy trying on and purchasing new cute clothes without being a "shopaholic" as the other poster said.

Ht 5'4HW 232  GW 138

slimpickins5280
on 5/30/13 1:52 am - CO

Absolutely agree that people should enjoy the new freedom in being to shop anywhere. But, from what I've seen in the last couple of years, many WLS patients have to work on balance.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views