Will having PCOS slow down weight loss???

A. Robinson
on 5/31/13 2:10 am - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13

I was just wondering if you have PCOS would it make your weight come off slower or would it even matter with the sleeve?? I was on medication (metformin) 2 yrs ago when I was seeing a doctor that was closer to home. I started seeing my "old" doctor last year when I started working in his office. I told him I was diagnosed with it & even showed him labs & told him the gynecologist confirmed it also but he never put me back on metformin. So I was just wondering if I should talk to him about it again. I am kind of concerned about my weight coming off slowly. I know everyone isn't the same and we all lose weight at different rates.

NIQAABI
on 5/31/13 2:30 am

I had PCOS and Insulin Resistance prior to surgery, I have lost 145 pounds in 11 months with no problems. I followed my plan strictly. I have not been on Metformin or any other medications since the morning after surgery. Would you be able to switch doctors perhaps?

A. Robinson
on 5/31/13 2:34 am - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13

Thank you for your response. I have seen him over a 10 yr period & would like to keep seeing him. I just tried to let him be the doctor and not question his reasoning. I wondered if taking the Metformin would help me lose better. Just didnt want this to affect my weight loss. Again thanks for responding & congrats on your awesome weight loss!

mokee
on 5/31/13 2:39 am - OH

You mention PCOS but do you have diabetes?   Why would you take metforin if your blood sugar is not elevated?    How do you think metforin will make you lose weight?

VSG  12-28-2012

A. Robinson
on 5/31/13 2:59 am - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13

No, I do not have diabetes. Metformin is actually prescribed for several things. I do have PCOS and am insulin resistant so that is why the doctor put me on it. I don't think Metformin will make me "lose" weight. I just didn't know if not taking it was stalling any weight loss.

hwag5149
on 5/31/13 3:24 am

The PCOS makes us super carb sensitive so even when we are eating low carb, it's still affecting us a lot more than it would a regular person. My insulin, before surgery was 21 (i think once it goes over 9 it is out of range), after surgery and 150+ pounds less, my insulin is at 13ish, which is still well above what it should be. That's without metformin... the pre surgery number was WITH metformin. Anyway, my point is that your insulin might never return to completely normal and, therefore, I think metformin is a good idea. Our insulin resistance is one reason why it is difficult to lose weight with PCOS so I think taking it WILL help you lose weight faster than if you didn't take it. I know when I first started taking metformin, 7 years ago, I lost 60 pounds in 4 months without changing a thing so, for me, it helps with weightloss for sure!

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

A. Robinson
on 5/31/13 3:45 am - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13

Thank you for your response!! Good luck with your weight loss!

AdeanaMarie
on 5/31/13 3:26 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

Hasn't slowed mine down, but I was never on any meds for it either.  I think it has helped things a lot.  Totally regular for my monthly cycle now (every 28 days, normal flow) and have been since 2-3 months post op.  Been such a blessing for me.  Probably the lower carb diet and just getting weight off and eating healthier.  Be interested in knowing what new tests would show for me.  But unless I have issues, I will avoid them.  :O)

My weight loss has slowed down after a year out, but because I am eating more in maintenance range lately, getting back on track though.  Plus, as you get closer to your goal weight, just being lighter and having less weight to lose slows things down a bit.  But I would be losing at least a pound or two a week if I kept calories under 1200.  Right now I am at about 1500, but still losing very slowly.  Got to cut out that emotional night time mindless eating and kick up my exercise.

Blessings on your journey!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

A. Robinson
on 5/31/13 3:45 am - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13

Thank you so much for your response!!

zra
on 5/31/13 4:03 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

I was on Metformin for my PCOS (and infertility) before surgery. The endocrinologist at the hospital took me off of it the morning after. I've been very strict about keeping my carbs under 40g per day, but I still feel like my loss, while good, has been slower than some. The sleeve is still the best tool I have, so PCOS or not I follow my plan every day. I'm hoping that enough weight loss will counter effect some of the PCOS symptoms and help restore some fertility. Good luck!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views