Off schedule...

grayC
on 6/7/13 11:09 am
VSG on 05/01/13
Man oh man I can't go off my eating & drinking schedule I've made up for myself to keep me on track, for anything, which is going to be rough with life being well life...
Today was my oldest sons senior prom and it is raining buckets here...
My day goes like this ...
get up take PPI...
drink first 16oz of water
take vitamins and pills with tha****er.
.get everyone to where they gotta go...
drink first protien shake...
exercise
drink 16 more oz water...
.second protien shake...
drink 16 more oz water
end the nite drinking 16-32 oz water ( its kinda like my snack now)
and its working like a charm...
as long as I'm home doing nothing...
Going to take pictures of my son and his date and the group they were with..
then the pre-prom party...
IM SOO BACKED UP....only got 32 oz water in and I'm just on my second shake now and it's 9pm my time....UGGGG!!!!

aliekat
on 6/7/13 11:42 am

thanks for the post. i am scheduled for sleeve in a month and this is my biggest concern. I am currently working on scheduling my fluids and eating times. IT is hard to keep it going. At the end of the day I know I would not have drunk enough if I had a sleeve. I dont know how people do it and manage a busy life.

I supose like all of you i will figure it out as it develops.

Calking
on 6/7/13 5:11 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I see that you are in the capable hands of Dr. Heider.  I had surgery with him May 31st, 2012 and it has been great.  

Your other response was not to stress about things.  I agree.  Don't worry.  All you need to do is follow the very well laid out plan that the team has put together and things will work out fine.  

Really it boils down to always getting in that 8 cups if possible.  Beyond that for the first 2 or 3 weeks just get in as much protein as possible.  

The thing I found great about Dr. Heider and staff is that they are easily reachable if you have questions or need help with things and they are also very willing to help.  When I was there a year ago three of his staff had the VSG surgery performed by him.  I really thought that was great.  You can call and talk with people there that can do more than rattle off the information.  They can also speak from experience.  

I remember at the beginning of my post op journey I frequently sent of an email to Amanda and Dr. Heider if and when I had a question.  Of course I also posted a few things on this forum as well.  

By the way, check out the response I had given on this same posting.  There is a link to Special K20 which I really liked.  It is a powdered mix that you add to a bottle of water.  If you were to do 4 of these mixes into 4 bottles then you would have your 8 cups of liquids along with 20 grams of protein.  That gets you about 25% of what you need in the day for protein.

Good luck ... I know you are in the best hands.  I am proof of that.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

aliekat
on 6/7/13 10:27 pm

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I researched Dr Heider and felt great about him after talking to him on the phone but it is even more reassuring to hear from his patients. I go to see him and his staff in one week and i cant wait.

grayC
on 6/7/13 11:53 am
VSG on 05/01/13
I'm only 5 weeks out and drinking and getting the protein in that first 2 weeks was difficult...don't stress about it, get in what you can get in...
Right after my surgery I thought to myself..I can't drink like this for the rest of my life...sip...sip...sip...it was soo time consuming and ill admit it annoying..but I started to see a change after a week..I could drink more and a little faster and now at 5 weeks out I feel I'm drinking fairly normally, not gulping it down, but normal pace..
It's just you become so conscience of the fact that you HAVE to get this water and protein in...
And as soon as I'm in the habit of remembering to bring a bottle of water with me during errands or anything it will be even easier...

Calking
on 6/7/13 4:59 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I read your reply to the first response.  Please take your own advice.  If you don't get it all in today it won't be the end of the world and absolutely don't stress about it.  As they say ... life happens.

There are days lately where I barely get my protein in and I am one year post op.  Of course when I miss my goal of a minimum of 80 grams per day it usually isn't by much.  Although I have recently also figured out the things I need to do now that I wasn't doing before.  Before I would get a lot of protein from meats and now I have gone back to the beginning sort of.  If I run low I just grab two eggs and scramble them up.  Lot's of protein and not quite as dense as meat so easier to get into and out of my stomach.

Actually I was poking around tonight on the internet and found a new thought for my scrambled eggs.  Add cinnamon and Splenda to the mix.  Yum ... it tasted like cinnamon toast.  I took the two eggs and added in a splash of olive oil to prevent sticking.  Then I added in some unsweetened almond milk for fluffier eggs.  Then the cinnamon and Splenda and cooked them up.  They were the best eggs I think I ever made.  I even cooked them in the microwave which was so easy.  Once whisked up I popped them in for 22 seconds and then stirred.  Another 22 seconds and stirred again.  A finale 22 seconds and then stirred and they were good to go.  I do have a 1200 watt microwave so obviously with a lower wattage you may have to play with times.  This will be good for you in the pureed food stage which if you aren't in quite yet should be coming up soon.  The only difference for you is that I would use liquid egg whites.  I am in maintenance and need some calories.  Also I am financially strapped and a carton of eggs is cheaper than liquid egg whites.

Sounds like you certainly had a day of it.  Things will likely get back to normal soon I would hope and you can get back on schedule.  By the way, not sure where to buy it but there is a thing called Special K2O which goes into a bottle of water and gives you 5 grams of whey protein isolate.  It does list 6 grams of carbs however there are 5 grams of fiber which leaves you with only 1 net carb.  Very nice.   I liked the Strawberry Kiwi flavor.  When mixing it up it almost tasted a little more like you had a flavored milk as opposed to a flavored water.  http://www.specialk.com/protein-water-mixes

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

grayC
on 6/8/13 2:31 am
VSG on 05/01/13
Hey Calking...
Yea I didn't stress...when I got home I had less than 1/2 cup of Italian wedding soup...
( tubatini -Rex was NOT happy!! LOL roaring last nite ...probably ate too fast)
Then I got my protein shake in and only another 8oz of water..I was OK with it..it's life and it'll get easier when it becomes more routine for me...
I'm loving this sleeved life...it's the best thing I've ever done for myself...
I feel like I'm in such a good head space right now..the stall broke..I'm down another 2 lbs...I wish I did it sooner...I hate that I let fear rule my life...
Have a great weekend..Off to return the boys Tux!!

sarapilar
on 6/8/13 7:35 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Those eggs sound so good!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views