protien powder pre-op?????

Laguerita13
on 6/14/13 1:06 am - Morristown, TN
Ok.... So i dont have a surgery date yet , but i am wondering, should i be drinking protwin shakes as pre op just to get use to it.. if so, what powder,?? How many a day?!!. I am going to the store today and would like to know if i should pick up protien powder!! thanks
mickeymantle
on 6/14/13 1:19 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I do ,it helps me stay on my pre op plan and you may need a 1-2 week pre op liquid diet

I use the ready made premier protein  shakes at Costco and Walmart  the taste great they cost about $1.30 each which is a little more than most powders 

you can buy samples of many brand first to taste them some are much better than others

many like un flavored to mix into stuff

un flavored mixed in crystal lite lemonade is good , do not but to many right before surgery your tastes will change ,and many things will taste to sweet

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

ParisGirl
on 6/14/13 1:36 am
VSG on 04/25/13

If you find Premiere Protein or Pure Protein RTD shakes, those are pretty good.  And maybe head to Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and pick up a couple of bottles of Isopure ZERO Carb to try.

Just keep in mind that your tastes may change after surgery so don't go hog wild and buy a bunch.  I was lucky in that my tastes did not really change.

Also, you can order variety packs of differrent protein powders on line.  I LOVE the Syntrax brand (Nectar and Sweets).  They mix well and aren't gritty.

Good luck an good for you for preparing yourself!

ButterflyAna
on 6/14/13 1:40 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I use Unjury protein. I have it auto shipped every month 7 containers. You can order their sample pack and have it shipped so you can try it. That is how I started. I also like premiere shakes, they are already made so they are great when you do not have time to make a quick shake or to pack for a day out.
Good luck on your surgery.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

mickeymantle
on 6/14/13 1:52 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I tried the chicken flavor and was not impressed  I prefer to use the better than bullion that I get at Costco with unflavored protein

the chicken is great and so is the beef , only you have to get used to drinking it warm not hot ,It gets real gummy if over 140f(all proteins do) 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

serenity1959
on 6/14/13 2:42 am
VSG on 08/05/13

I am pre-op too, and have started using protein shakes.  At first it was so that I could try them.  I know that folks say after surgery your taste will change, BUT if it is sickly sweet and yucky prior to surgery, it won't be better afterward!  I LOVE Chike chocolate.   They sell sample packs of all their flavors.   I also purchased samples of Unjury, Syntrax Nectar, and Matrix.  Matrix Mint Cookie is pretty yummy!   My plan is to have a large tub of vanilla and a large tub of chocolate here when I get home from the hospital, plus any of the samples that I haven't already....sampled. 

linzeelee
on 6/14/13 2:52 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

It doesn't hurt to start trying shakes before surgery. You can at least weed out the ones you hate. it is true that your tastes may change after surgery.

I recommend getting a stash of samples for after surgery. This is one thing I regretted - not having a good variety of samples immediately following surgery.

Some good places to get samples are:
vitalady.com - tons of brands
BJ's Bariatrics has 11 samples of Syntrax Nectar for less than $20 with shipping
Unjury is pretty good and they have a sample pack
Chike has a sample pack. It's pretty tasty but higher in carbs than I like
I also just ordered two samples for About Time for $3.99

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

datachick
on 6/14/13 3:08 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I drink pre-mix EAS AdvantEdge and Myoplex Lite (20g Protein). Like chocolate milk. My wife (RNY) drinks the vanilla. $1-$1.50 each, we get them at Target. Neither of us ever cared for the mess, time, energy, gloppiness, taste of the powders we tried, so we are good with the pre-mix.

We do use Unjury Chicken soup mix. We have kept the big container I ordered last year and it's come in really handy when I had a cold and didn't feel like eating anything. Also as a salty alternative to the chocolate drink when I need some more protein.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Laguerita13
on 6/14/13 3:11 am - Morristown, TN
thank you all so much.. !! i wish i had a costco near me:(
Laguerita13
on 6/14/13 3:16 am - Morristown, TN
also, does it matter.if.its isolate or regular or 100% whey????
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views