10 days out - how am I doing?

VSG on 06/12/13
Observations/ponderings/questions about some things I'm noticing. I'm wondering if the veterans can confirm...

1. Pain: I think I'm in more pain now than I was immediately after getting home. It feels like there are little "pinchy points" in my belly, not associated with my incisions, but not far from them. Based on my reading, I am assuming this is due to internal tissues healing. The inflammation is probably going down, as well, which is why I imagine I am feeling them more. I wear my binder if I'm going to be up and down. Pain level is manageable without meds or the binder, but I find I walk around subconsciously holding my belly, trying to keep it still.

2. Energy and food: I'm BEAT! I am getting 30-50 grams of protein in from shakes each day, plus whatever I manage to get from soups. At this point, my doc is expecting 32+ grams. I suspect that when I up my protein, I will start to feel better. My gosh, is this HARD. Appetite is generally less than zero, although I do have more of an interest in food when my family is eating. I am managing to find tasty soups that work for me.

3. Water is going down fine. Lukewarm/body temperature water is easier than cold, but sometimes the cold refreshes too. Not much appetite for anything other than water, strangely. I did mix 1/2 packet of crystal light with a bottle of Dasani the other day and that was sort of tasty, but I think I'm just really over the sweet stuff from the shakes.

4. Doc expects me to get 30 minutes of exercise (walking) in per day. Because of my flagging energy, I find it easer to get multiple shorter periods in than one long one.

The lack of energy is really sort of bothering me, but based on what I have read, I keep telling myself to be patient with my body, this is just temporary. Please, please tell me this is true. How long does it last?

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Kelly M.
on 6/22/13 5:57 am - NY

It was a good month before I started getting all my energy back.  I never thought it would happen...but be patient.  It will :)

SW: 360 / HW: 368 / CW: 215

I was sleeved 05/16/2013

My  blog...come take a peek:  Changed Gurl

Nancybefree
on 6/22/13 6:43 am
VSG on 11/21/12

The lack of energy is pretty common from what I've read here.  It'll get better, but you may not feel persistent energy returning for a few weeks more.  Hang in there!

You're doing well to experiment with different fluid temperatures and flavors.  Perhaps some chicken or beef broth to give you a break from the sweet stuff overload?  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

SuzieQ14
on 6/22/13 7:17 am

R U taking your vitamins?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/22/13 7:20 am
VSG on 10/09/12

You are doing great for where you are post op! Keep the spirits up and energy will return. Take your vites!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Tnull
on 6/22/13 8:05 am
Your progress sounds right on track to me, but what do I know? I'm a newbie, too.

sarapilar
on 6/22/13 8:50 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I have some Unjury Chicken protein soup when I see you at the next bariatric support meeting!  you are doing GREAT!  Yes, your energy will return, but it is so soon after surgery, a major blow to the body!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

f4eva
on 6/22/13 8:58 am

Sorry but what is Unjury Chicken protein soup?  Is that something you buy or make?

sarapilar
on 6/22/13 11:15 am, edited 6/22/13 6:12 pm
VSG on 02/21/13
You can Google it, it is a wonderful alternative to the sweet, cold shakes you have to drink for several weeks post op. What I did was made a huge crockpot of home made chicken soup, with carrots, Bay Leaves, etc. Then strained it for just the broth. Added more water (mountain spring water), and drank the warm broth with a scoop of Unjury chicken protein powder. It was warm and so comfoting. It was a lifesaver, and I got all my protein in that way (drinking it twice a day, plus cold shakes). Good luck!
"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Kimbaru
on 6/22/13 9:46 am - WA

I'm 7 days ahead of you and I could have written your post.  I'm getting a little energy back, but it's slow.  I think you're right on schedule.  My pain has really eased up now.  Hang in there!

Kim

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views