2nd person in 2 days said they "got their hair cut short" to combat the hair...

Lisa1023
on 6/25/13 1:46 am
VSG on 03/05/13

does that truly improve the hair loss somehow?  I cant see how it would.

I dont prefer short hair, but at 3 and 1/2 months out, my hair suddenly is coming out by the handfull and I'm afraid to get it colored now for fear it might make it come out more (?)

is the short cut the answer?  I cant see how...

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

Shagdoll
on 6/25/13 1:49 am

I actually don't think most people need to cut their hair off.  Maybe if someone started out with thin hair to begin with but then again, the short hair might just appear fuller. 

If anything, I would just keep up with regular trims to keep the hair we have looking healthy & great.  That's what I did AFTER I got butchered last year.  My hair stylist went crazy & chopped off layers above my ear before I had a chance to stop her.  I lived & I learned from that!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

emelar
on 6/25/13 1:51 am - TX

People get their hair cut short to disguise hair loss.  Layers make you look like you have more hair.  It doesn't slow down or stop hair loss.

Go ahead and color your hair.  That's not going to hurt or help with hair loss either.

sarapilar
on 6/25/13 1:54 am
VSG on 02/21/13

For me, it definitely made my hair look healthier and thicker.  I have really pretty blonde highlights, so it is still cute. I am already getting lots of compliments, people say it frames my not-so-fat-anymore face!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

cyndi_jk
on 6/25/13 2:05 am - hi hat , KY
VSG on 11/30/12

My hair was to my waist now its to my shoulders and was cut a month ago. it was just so thin that i could see my shirt threw it.  my hair is coming back in its about 2.5 to 3 inches long now so you dont see my scalp anymore.

hugs and prayers

cindy

sunny_disposition
on 6/25/13 2:18 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

I cut mine shorter, but not super short.  It was to the middle of my back, and I cut it to below my collar bone (which was visible!).  It looked fuller, but only because I added layers, and the hair wasn't weighing itself down and flattening it.  It really doesn't affect whether it falls out or not, unfortunately.

lsereno
on 6/25/13 2:25 am - CA

I kept mine shoulder length in layers because hubby prefers long hair. I also stretched the time between coloring grays to 8 weeks. I used a powder spray to hide my gray roots for the last couple of weeks before getting it dyed. 

Lynda

wls2011
on 6/25/13 2:27 am - Ballston Lake, NY

I got mine cut very short, pixie,it did improve the appearance and made it look fuller while losing a lot of hair, but it still was thin and wispy. It does not actually stop loss or improve condition of hair. I stopped coloring and added deep conditioning treatments because the texture of my hair was very bad for awhile and too fragile.

It took forever to grow any length back after such dramatic cut and I probably would not do that again, if doing it over. At 2 years post op, my hair is finally nice again and at a length I like, just above shoulders. And I highlight it with blonde, and continue with deep condition treatments. My texture is back to normal also. This is one of those side effects that just takes time to get thru.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

happyteacher
on 6/25/13 4:15 am

I did.  My hair was long, and when it fell out it was just constantly all over the place.  At least the shorter hair falling out wasn't as obvious for this reason.  I had loss, but nothing to severe.  I am now in the process of growing it back out, and it is growing far more slowly than pre-surgery.  It also got super curly too, whereas preop it was just a little wavy.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

LDallas
on 6/25/13 4:26 am
VSG on 10/25/12
My hair is thick and was long when it started coming out there would be LONGGG clumps of hair all over the floor, my clothes, bed, and just one rake thru my hair with a brush would fill it! And ..it would wrap around the brush handle several times. It was gross. It didn't change the falling out, but it wasn't as messy. Now it****ting my shoulders and very cute! Goes well with my smaller face! Its just hair, it will grow long again, if thats what you wish. I'm keeping mine shorter. I look much younger with it like this, and the long hair was really emphasizing my saggy face and neck!!

SW (10/25/12)......303  size 24/26. Age 50

CW: 225  size 14/16

F/5'10"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 352 views