Getting ready

sillymilly
on 7/13/13 4:34 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

So I'm going in for my surgery on the 17th.  Surprisingly, my mother is coming to help out during my recovery.  I'm looking forward to spending some time with her, even if it's just sitting around doing nothing.  And it does make me feel a little better that I won't have my 18 year old driving me home from the hospital ;)

I bought a little blender so I can make protein shakes, and puree some things when I get to that point.  Plenty of tea and broth.  Yesterday I bought some sugar-free popsicles and put them in the freezer but I'm not sure if they'll last - the teenager has already been eyeing them even though they say "Sugar-Free" right on the box.

The worrisome part for me is that my boss has decided that she doesn't want anyone else doing my job, so she has "reassured" me that she'll just hold onto everything for me until I get back.  "Don't worry about work, you just concentrate on getting better," she says.  Uhh, how am I supposed to relax and not worry about work when I hear this?  Does she have any idea how HUGE that pile of work will get?  And I'll be sitting at home worrying about what will be facing me when I go back.  Aaargh!

Maybe I should just hope that actually seeing how much work I do will make her more receptive to a request for a raise?  LOL.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

ShelleKarena
on 7/13/13 6:09 am
VSG on 07/10/13 with

congrats on your surgery!  I just had mine on the 10th. I will tell you that for the first few days you are probably only going to want very thin liquids.  Even water was a bit uncomfortable to drink.  I also found that warmer liquids have felt better to me than cold ones.  When they do the upper gi test to make sure you have no leaks, ask the radiologist if you can see the xrays as well.  They did it where I could see the barium moving through Brunhilda. It showed just how narrow the opening got. Also make sure that you get up and walk as soon as you can.  I was in my room at 5 or 6 pm and I was up walking the halls around 3 or 4 am.  It really helps to dispell the gas. Good luck to you!

lucy2e
on 7/13/13 7:38 am - Laurel, MD

You're gonna do great!  Glad momma is going to be there with you - no matter how old we are, it's nice to have mom take care of us!  Your teen can run out and get more sf pops if they get in them - just have a little cash on stand by!  Good luck - see you on the losers bench!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

themexcellentone
on 7/13/13 7:45 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

If you can get one, get an abdominal binder to wear when you are sitting up or walking.  I had my surgery on Monday, and that was one of the best things they brought me in the hospital!  It kept things from jiggling too much when I walked.

And walk, walk, walk...I was in my room by 3:30p, walking at 4:30p.  The gas pains can be pretty wicked.

Try to stay ahead of your pain.  When you feel the first twinges, take your pain meds!

Your left side will hurt like a mofo.  Mine still does but it is pain from the swelling and the incision there.

And I totally agree with what ShelleKarena said about thin fluids...that first few days you'll want stuff that passes right through a strainer.  I'm staying on thin fluids until Tuesday and then I'll add in milk-based protein drinks.

Good luck!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

sillymilly
on 7/13/13 8:53 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Thanks everyone!  I'm getting excited now, can't wait to start my journey to better health!

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views