The smell of fried chicken!!!!

Smcquithy
on 7/25/13 2:32 am
It's killing me! One week out today. And my entire unit at work ordered fried chicken for lunch. It smells wonderful!
Now, I'm not even hungry, but its the first time I have smelled something and at least thought I wanted it. First of many I assume.

Thanks for letting me rant a little.

Stephanie

Sarah W.
on 7/25/13 3:17 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
Unjury Chicken Soup flavor is really good!

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

mimij
on 7/25/13 3:38 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I'm sorry but as good as Unjury chicken soup is, it can't hold a candle to the smell of good fried chicken. I feel your pain. You are right, this is the first of many smell temptations along the way. Movie theatre popcorn is a killer for me.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

iammommy
on 7/25/13 3:45 am

I guess the way I think about it is that since our relationship with food has been so messed up for so long, we're sort of like Pavlov's dogs- our bodies instantly respond to the stimulus (in this case, fried chicken), without us even having to think about it. 

Since I'm just starting this whole process myself, I'm very interested to hear that you're back at work after a week.  How did it go?  I feel like most everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say I hope to be back at work after a week (I have a desk job, and the flexibility to get up and take breaks/walks when needed).  What's the hardest part of being back at work so soon (apart from the food smells)?

barrels1
on 7/25/13 7:03 am
VSG on 05/29/13

I was just reading this post and saw your question. I had my surgery on a Wednesday (May 29) and I was back to work on Monday (June 3). I also have a desk job and the ability to get up and move around when I needed to. I didn't have any trouble going back to work! I am sure everyone is different but it was super easy for me. Good luck!

Smcquithy
on 7/25/13 7:47 am
Everyone thought I was crazy too. Some friends that had it done before said there was no way. ... I had surgery last Thursday and went to work this Monday,4 days later! I too have a desk job. I can get up and down whenever I need to. I can drink at my desk and don't have to use the stairs unless I want.
I have had a wonderful recovery so far, no sickness, no drain. The only thing is a low grade fever.
Most people I work with don't even know I had anything done. I have some tummy swelling, but nothing terrible. By the end of the work day I'm ready for a rest.
For me it has been great!

Stephanie

Horizon29
on 7/25/13 4:12 am
VSG on 05/22/13

I don't know if it's a first of many, there has only been one food that has triggered that type of response from me. Pizza is the one thing I smell that ALWAYS smells amazing to me. Fortunately I don't have to smell it too often.

Monica

shrinking_sarah
on 7/25/13 4:13 am - CA

I remember feeling like I had a super sense of smell post-op.  Eventually it will get better/more normal, but it can be torture at first.  Can you get a scented candle (non-food smell) or something?

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

sillymilly
on 7/25/13 6:54 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Yeah my son grilled some chicken yesterday and when I was cleaning up the leftovers it smelled sooooo goood!  And when I got some on my hand I really wanted to lick it off.  LOL.  I washed my hands quick and got out of the kitchen, and from now on he's putting his own leftovers away.  

At least I can look forward to eating grilled chicken, unlike fried chicken.  Smelling fried chicken for the first time will probably kill me!

I met a girl at one of my group meetings who was extremely concerned about whether she would ever be able to eat fried chicken and mac&cheese again.  That and how much alcohol she'd be able to drink after the surgery.  I really hope she had more counseling before she was approved.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views