1 Year Surgiversary! Pics

dmhe
on 7/24/13 2:27 am - TX

Not too much has changed from my Goal Post a while back, feel free to reference my profile for the long version of what I have been doing to get the weight off. 

One major change that occurred in my life was the loss of a dear friend and her husband in May in a plane crash.  She was my Big Sister in my sorority in college and I was fortunate enough to have lived close to her after college and her daughter is the same age as my youngest.  I helped my husband coach her daughter in soccer for a couple of years and she was in my Girl Scout troop. Her dad started running a few years ago and just finished a 50 mile run last year. I had a long conversation with him 2 weeks before the crash, so I know what I need to do to run, just have to keep pushing myself.  I have definitely been eating my feelings and not hitting the workouts like I should, even though workouts do improve my mood.  I am actively pushing myself to get back into the groove.  Work has been busier, so I am having to get more creative to squeeze in my workouts.  

I am pretty emotional this week because my last text from her was to run this 5K that I am doing on Saturday with her.  I have not trained like I should so I probably won't be able to run the whole race, but I might.  She will be there in spirit pushing me on. I think after this, maybe I will be able to push through this grief a little better.

What did I do to make this work for me?

I started walking in the hospital as soon as the fog lifted.  I walked every day and got off my pain meds my second day at home because it was July and it was too hot to walk outside.  I wanted to be able to drive to the store and walk, so that is what I did.  I bought 7 cold Isopure drinks and drank one each day for the first week, so I was getting in 40g of protein everyday the first week.  I will never drink one of those again, they make my mouth feel furry!. It would take me all day long to drink one sipping on it and I also drank water.  I could not tolerate anything but room temp water for about a month.  I am an ice cold water drinker, so that was really weird to me.  About a month out, I was back to ice cold water and could gulp it down just fine after that.  I also will probably never eat jello again either!

I resumed my weight training at 6 weeks post op when I released.  I think that is why I can wear size 4 pants (can fit in a 2 but prefer the fit of a 4) from 20W and a Small Top (from 2X) and 34C from 44 DD.  I am 5'3" tall.  I have an hourglass shape (who knew??) so my tricep area still has some sag to it, but I have really noticed an improvement in the last couple of months.  I am waiting until I am 2 years out before considering plastics.  I worked up to 55 mins on the elliptical 4xs a week and weight training until my ACL knee surgery 12/28/12.  That put me off for 2 months before I could even start to workout again.  I still lost but really slow during that time since the only exercise I was getting was PT.  Now my PT group is the official Texas Rangers group, so not only did I get lots of eye candy, I also had very intense PT.  I am now back up to where I was before, just need to increase my days again.  I can also do high intensity Zumba and run. 

The best part is I can play with my kids!  I can wear THEM out.  I can run around the soccer field with them, I can play at the park with them, I can take them to Six Flags, I can swim with them.  I can do so many things I could not do just a year ago and it feels like a lifetime ago.

I do not have any foods that cause me to get the foamies, I guess that is good, but it can also be bad.  Carbs are sliders for me.  I can put away some chips, crackers, cookies and cake.  I don't do it very often, but I have had some bad moments!  I can taste things and move on, most of the time.  I usually will just avoid that if I am in a mood and know I will do poorly with just a taste.

I still track on MFP, I have found that I have gotten lazy lately but I am getting back on track with that.  I noticed the scale shows that as well.

So, overall, I am doing great.  I am starting to see some bad habits creep in, but they are controllable and I don't feel like giving up or a lost cause anymore.  I have the control now.

I go in a couple of weeks for my one year follow up, so I am interested to see how my levels are and I will update once I go.  Especially my A1C, it was 5.8 at my 4 month visit, which is still just above normal, so I hope that has gone down, I have not been on any meds since surgery and was on Metformin and on my way to Insulin.  I was officially diagnosed with Type II Diabetes in April 2012 during my visit to my Primary Dr to get a medical clearance from him. It runs in my family, my grandmother (never more than 20lbs overweight) and my mother (she is overweight) are both Insulin dependent. I am hoping to miss that or at least put it off for more years.  I was also diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and slept with a CPAP before my surgery (haven't needed it since WLS). 

I still take Trader Joes High Potency Chewable Multiple Vitamin & Mineral Formula 2xs day, and Kirklands Caramel Chews Calcium 2 2xs day, during weight loss, I did splurge on the Celebrate Multivitamins and Opurity Calcium Citrate.

I followed my surgeon's plan somewhat, but I really followed the wisdom of Elina and Frisco.  600 -800 cal day (closer to 850 most days) less than 40g carbs (did not always make it, but that was my guideline, never over 75 on purpose!) and 64oz liquids or more & at least 85g protein daily.  I found a support group I like (loved the leader at my group close to home but did not connect with the people in the group), I get on OH (though not as much as I used to), I have a private local FB group and we support each other there as well.

Don't worry about those that say you took the easy way out, I tried the hard way for years and was tired of giving my money to Weigh****chers, Jenny Craig, Medifast and whatever fad I tried.  I have never lost this much weight, ever, not in all the years of trying, the most I would lose would be around 50lbs and then I would gain it back plus some.  I really had a ravenous appetite, it was embarrassing that I could not control myself.  No matter how hard I worked out, I just could not stop myself.  For the first time in my life, I feel like I have control.

I truly believe that weight loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise (I still lost when I was not able to workout, but I had to lower my intake).  You eat right to lose weight and you workout to be fit!  I cannot stress enough how much better my mental state is when I workout.  These are not new photos, and I have posted them before, but i will take some more when I get back to goal. 

HW (consult)  232 (have been as high as 238) SW 209.5  LW 128.9  CW 133  Goal Weight 130

I have been doing a little too much vacationing and celebrating (drinking alcohol).  I will see how long it takes to get this last 3lbs back off, was almost there a couple of weeks ago and then more celebrating!

KeithL, I am trying your Coconut Oil right now!

Thank you to everyone here for your support!! 

CToddRobbins
on 7/24/13 2:40 am - NC
VSG on 07/25/13 with

Wow!! Congrats! You look amazing. This provides me with great motivation. I am having my surgery tomorrow and look forward to posting my pics!!

HW 327 lbs   SW 294 lbs Surgeon's GW 210     My GW 190

dmhe
on 7/24/13 2:49 am - TX

Thank you!  Good luck to you tomorrow.  Make sure you take photos tonight and measurements, I wish I would have done measurements.  Walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip, repeat!  Look forward to seeing your before and after photos!  You men lose so much quicker than we do!

CToddRobbins
on 7/24/13 3:34 am - NC
VSG on 07/25/13 with

Taking measurements and photos is on my to do list for tonight. I took measurements when I first started this process and I have already lost 5 inches around my waist! I definitely want to have my measurements recorded for those dreaded weight loss stalls. As long as I am losing inches, I am happy! Thanks again for the advice!

themexcellentone
on 7/24/13 4:09 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Good luck tomorrow! 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

CToddRobbins
on 7/24/13 4:11 am - NC
VSG on 07/25/13 with

Thank you!!!

jenn227
on 7/24/13 5:01 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Yay....good luck & quick recovery!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/13 3:09 am

You look amazing!  I am humbled to read that my words might have helped you on your journey.  Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge it.  :) 

I am so sorry for the loss of your friends and I understand the desire to eat your feelings, I also know that you know that they would have preferred that you run instead.  Maybe you could sign up for the next race as a memorial to them.  Just a thought.

dmhe
on 7/24/13 3:23 am - TX

Thank you Elina, and yes, you are one of the loudest voices in my head.  Maybe one day i will get to meet you and hug your skinny butt!  You are also one of the reasons I am not going to say I am done just yet, I want to see what I can do with this body!  You are proof that 100% EWL is possible!

I will keep trying to run in their honor. I had severe asthma as a child and I never could really run, I kind of missed that step of learning how to breathe when your run, so it is a challenge to distance run for me.  But I can do anything!

Their daughter will be at the race this weekend and I am so excited to get to see her.  She is going to be living at least 3 hours away once the custody situation is settled.

My friend was one of my biggest cheerleaders when I had surgery last summer and was so supportive.  I miss her terribly!

Thank you for being here and sticking around, I know I get busy and disappear here and there but you are always here.  You have helped so many that may never speak up!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views