Maybe a gross question...sorry.

Smcquithy
on 8/2/13 1:22 am
I do not intend to be gross by asking this. Please do not be offended.
I am not feeling well today, first time since surgery. I had a migraine last night and still do. I have taken Tylenol since they said I couldn't take excedrin any longer, it has not worked at all! I'm very neausous today.
Here is my question: it feels like my mouth is covered in a "film". No matter how much I brush, floss, mouthwash I can't get rid of it and everything taste terrible.
Has anyone else had this happen?

Stephanie

ltljennjenn
on 8/2/13 1:28 am

A lot of us experienced that. I did and yes, it is awful. It is called ketosis. This happens when our body is so low in carbs. It just recently went away for me and I am just over 6 weeks out. 

Hang in there, it will get better. Water will help to keep it at bay, also taking your ant acid pills even if you don't have reflux.

ltljennjennkiss

rhearob
on 8/2/13 1:45 am - TN

Ketosis is the state that you body enters when it is breaking down fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates.  You want to be in this state!  Ketosis often is accompanied by a change in breath and some other body odors.  Many people keep the sugar free breath strips on hand for this.  These effects are caused by the production of acetone in your body as a side effect of ketosis.

Headaches are another side effect commonly associated with ketosis.

That said if you have an actual "film" in your mouth that could be a symptom of thrush.  See if there are any spots on your tongue that are a creamy white color or in other places in your mouth.  if you have any of that ask your doctor.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

themexcellentone
on 8/2/13 1:49 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I had the film you're talking about when I was on full liquids.  Once I moved to mushy foods, it went away.  I think it was residue from all the protein drinks I was consuming.  Now that I only have one (at most) each day, there's no film.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Smcquithy
on 8/2/13 1:56 am
Thank you. I thought it was just me!
There is nothing that looks like thrush. I can just taste it and feel it. Everything taste sweet and gross!
Is there any way to make it go away that won't slow my weight loss?

Stephanie

rhearob
on 8/2/13 2:11 am - TN

Nope.  Sorry.  Some people, like another poster said, seem to think it gets better once they are off the protein shakes - because pure protein tends to be kind of stinky.

Take this as a sign that you are on the right track and burning away a ton of fat.  As contrary as it sounds - you WANT this.  Things that wil help:

1. Fluids - Drink, Drink, Drink

2.  Brush and mouthwash often.  

3.  Some form of sugar free breath strip - just read the labels and be careful of calories.

themexcellentone
on 8/2/13 3:57 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Ok, so then I have a question...I don't have the yucky film any more since I moved to mushies and I keep my carbs at 40g or under each day.  Does the fact that I don't have the filmy junk any longer mean I'm not in ketosis any more?  :/  I'm slamming water every day and getting in a minimum of 60g protein daily. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

rhearob
on 8/2/13 4:08 am - TN

It doesn't mean that at all.  We all react differently.  For most of my weight loss I was totally a symptomatic of Ketosis.  I don't know if that was because of my diet or maybe because I was an out of control diabetic for so long that my body was just used to it. 

a lot of people will actually get something like Ketostix and test for it.  If you are losing though, that's all the proof I needed.

slamming the water helps mask the symptoms too.

PrincessPR
on 8/2/13 4:26 am
VSG on 12/17/13
Duh, I just saw at the bottom of your post you mentioned ketostix. Shee****'s Friday and my brain is already on Saturday. LOL!!!

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

rhearob
on 8/2/13 4:42 am - TN

No problem - so long as they get the info they need.

Have a great weekend - or rest of it?  LOL.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views