positive for H. Pylori and surgery is monday!! freaking out

Carlizle09
on 8/6/13 4:31 am - UT
I just heard from my family doctor that the pre op labs that I had done over two weeks ago showed I was positive for h pylori. My family doctor wants to treat me for 14 days, but my surgery is next monday. The also told me about some other lab values that were high or low. I confused because my surgeons office emailed me last week and told me everything looked fine. I even had my preop last week and nothing was mentioned. Im so confused and im freaking out. I need to have this surgery before I return to nursing school august 26th. I dont know what to do. Im afraid to call surgeons office. Not to mention ive been doing this dreaded clear liquid diet.
acbbrown
on 8/6/13 4:40 am - Granada Hills, CA

I dont know whether your surgeon will or wont do the surgery with a positive H Pylori test - ive seen some people here who have surgeons who have proceeded and some who have cancelled and rescheduled. Call your surgeon and ask him. Regardless, you need to keep in mind that this is major surgery, h pylori isnt something to mess with, and you dont want complications post op if they can be avoided. Your health is #1 and if rescheduling has to be done, just keep that in mind. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Judy_long_island
on 8/6/13 5:10 am - NY
VSG on 07/15/13
I was not allowed to have surgery with h pylori. I took medicine twice before it was gone. Not only are you on antibiotics for 14 days, but you have to wait 3 weeks to be retested. Good luck

Marley M.
on 8/6/13 5:11 am - Brooklyn, NY
VSG on 07/19/12 with

I tested positive for H. Pylori too.  I used a lab that was in my insurance and referred to by my PCP, instead of doing the test at my surgeon's affiliated hospital.  My surgery was scheduled for March 19, 2012, surgeon got the results of test a few days before (and I was in the process of the d 3 day liquid diet) and canceled my surgery.  I was treated with prevpac for 14 days, retested and had surgery 4 months later. My surgeon refused to operate with the bacteria.  He said that even though it was a straight forward surgery, H.Pyloric could present problems during healing.  It is your health, I would suggest you call your surgeon and if you can re-schedule.  Can you do it on Fall or Winter break from nursing school?  GL!

HW 316 SW 310 GW 170-175                    

cappy11448
on 8/6/13 5:57 am

I had h.pylori that was detected in the biopsy of the stomach tissue after surgery.  (I'm not sure why they did not test me for it before surgery, but they didn't.)   I waited 2 months and then was put on a course of three antibiotics.  The antibiotics are not fun, (mostly diarhea)  and I think you'd be better off getting it out of the way before surgery and all the resulting stress on your tummy. 

I did manage just fine with my recovery in any case.  Best to talk to your surgeon and see what he advises.

Good luck with your surgery.  I hope you can go ahead with your scheduled date.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Carlizle09
on 8/6/13 6:00 am - UT
Thanks everyone. I think I knew what I needed to do, was just afraid to do it, but I did call the doctor and will be starting treatment.
jenn227
on 8/6/13 6:25 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

I admire your strength...I know I would have been freaking out too.  Everything does happen for a reason, though, so take comfort in knowing your health will be taken into account before they do this surgery.  Sending hugs to you, though, because I know this is very disappointing!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

momzy2ncec
on 8/6/13 8:17 am
VSG on 07/17/12

I wasn't able to have my required upper endoscope until the friday before surgery which was on a tuesday. The surgeon did a biopsy and proceeded with the surgery on tuesday. it wasn't until i was in recovery that i was told that I had H. Pylori, I started meds through iv then was sent home with more. Had no complications and had a speedy recovery. Wish you the best of luck.

Debra M.
on 8/6/13 8:55 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
I listen to NYU Doctors on Sirrius Radio and they had a very interesting discussion on the H Pylori bacteria. There is evidence, according to their discussion, that H Pylori may be one of the good bacterias. They were saying that the presence of H Pylori may help prevent children from developing allergies. They were saying that more children now have allergies because antibiotics have been killing the HPylori bacteria they are born with. More research is on going. Just thought I would share because I found the discussion so interesting and because I now have a much lower fear factor of this particular bacteria. They were saying that H pylori is actually a living organism in our bodies that may be beneficial. Of course if you cut into it and expose it it may not be a benefit at all. I was treated for H Pylori several years ago. Hence, my interest in the discussion.

sarapilar
on 8/6/13 12:04 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

I am angry with my VSG surgeon that he missed my H Pylori.  Supposedly he ran the blood test, and supposedly it was negative, but he failed to do a breath test in me also.  I suffered horribly for the past 4 out of 5 months with severe gastritis, non stop vomiting, non stop nausea, severe heartburn/GERD, etc all because of H Pylori (that I didn't know I had).  They even missed it on my first endoscopy!  Only found it on a 2nd endoscopy.  I mean, the H Pylori was just slipping through the cracks, and I was suffering so badly.  I would not wish this on my worst enemy.  I would definitely postpone the surgery and get it totally cleared up.  Keep restesting for it, too. 

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views