ON THE LOSER'S BENCH... IN NEED OF ADVICE / BEST PRACTICES!

jlangley
on 8/7/13 7:28 am - NC
VSG on 08/05/13

Finally, I was sleeved on Monday!!!  I came home on Tuesday, as I was able to sip, walk, and pee and pain / nausea were well controlled.  Well, I woke up this morning with intense nausea and vomited 2x.  I am have a terrible time getting all of my liquids or protein in... I'm up to about 24 - 26 oz of fluid and only about 12g protein.  When I drink ANYTHING, I swear I can feel it hitting my pouch and drip drip dripping into it!  Anybody have creative ways to get the protien in??

Nancybefree
on 8/7/13 7:35 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Is it in your surgeon's plan for you to be trying for protein this soon?  I was on clear liquids until postop day 4, and even then I could only have protein drinks an ounce at a time.

What do your instructions say?

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Calking
on 8/7/13 7:58 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I think by protein she means the shakes.  I was allowed protein shakes the day I was released from the hospital and was actually encouraged to try sipping on them.  I know a lot of post op plans don't let that happen so soon and it was really weird as I was supposed to be on clear liquids with that one exception for the first 10 days.  I had a very strict and thoroughly planned out post op diet but this one thing seemed a little out of place based on the many people I see that need to wait for several days for the protein shakes.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

jlangley
on 8/7/13 8:40 am - NC
VSG on 08/05/13

Yep - they want you to get in 60 - 80g of Protein as soon as you get home!!  I'm on clears only til Friday, then move to full liquids (which will be nice)!!  My protein sources are isopure, bulletts, and unflavored protein powder right now... the isopure leaves a lot to be desired in terms of aftertaste... and the bullets have to be diluted, which make them almost larger than life!

themexcellentone
on 8/7/13 8:54 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

You probably won't be able to get in 60-80 g protein so soon.  I know I couldn't.  Worry more about staying hydrated, especially if you are vomiting.  You will eventually be able to hit your protein goals.  You definitely need to avoid dehydration more than anything right now.

As far as the isopure...I drink the RTD about a half bottle at a time, and I cut it with water.  It cuts the aftertaste a little bit. 

Good luck and welcome to the loser's bench! :)  I hope you feel better soon.  This does get better and you will feel better each day.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Nancybefree
on 8/7/13 9:07 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Wow, okay.  I was worried that you were trying to do what I've seen some people post about since I've been on here, like trying to eat sausages four days postop and stuff like that.  indecision

I did read your reply that your doc upped your med, so hope that will give you some relief and help you along.  I was still struggling to get 64 ounces of anything in on postop day 3.  Hang in there!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Calking
on 8/7/13 7:55 am
VSG on 05/31/12

First thing I will say is that if you continue to vomit you should contact your surgeon.  Of course the fluids are more important than the protein at this point in time.  Some people have issues with drinking cold things early on so try some things at room temperature or hot like teas.  By experimenting with various temperatures of fluids you might find one that goes down much easier.  So for creative .... alter the temperatures.

By protein I assume you mean protein shakes at this point.  It would be way too early to be getting in any other sources of protein.

If you continue having issue getting fluids on down then absolutely contact your surgeon.  Although not very common there could be a stricture which is a narrowing at the top of the stomach.  Usually people with this tend to experience getting sick every time something is heading on down.  I don't think this is your issue but I am also not a doctor and that really needs to be determined by your surgeon.

Also light headedness and nausea can be caused my drops in blood pressure or blood sugars.  If you are currently taking meds for either of these it may be time to bring down the dose or eliminate the meds again only on the advice of your surgeon.

Hope some of this info turns out to be helpful.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

jlangley
on 8/7/13 8:43 am - NC
VSG on 08/05/13

Thanks!  Yes, protein only in the form of clears (isopure, bullets, unflavored powder).  I did call the surgeion this morning w/ the N/V, and they increased my zofran from 4mg to 8mg - that has helped some.  I think that I'm on the upswing... and will be even better when some of the swelling goes down.

cappy11448
on 8/7/13 7:59 am

Hi,

I put unflavored protein powder in my chicken broth and jello from the day I returned from the hospital.  I'd have two or three cups of broth and 2 servings of jello a day to get my protein in.

I had to sip very slowly at first.  I didn't feel like it was dripping, but I could feel it backing up if I took more than a swallow at a time.  I believe my tummy was pretty swollen, and the fluids just didn't move through very fast.

Be careful of dehydration.  If you notice symptoms like your urine being dark, dry mouth, chapped lips, dizziness, then call your doctor.  They can give you an IV to "tank you up," as my surgeon says.  Its better to catch it early before it makes you sick.

Good luck with your recovery.  It will get better every day -- slowly (smile).

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

jenn227
on 8/7/13 9:03 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Be careful...they had to readmit me because I was vomitting (and dehydrating) the day I came home.  You might want to call your surgeon's office & let them know.

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 435 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views