starvation mode

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/10/13 7:06 am, edited 8/10/13 8:22 am
how many of you believe in starvation mode . the nurse at my doctor's office tells me I am not losing because I'm in starvation mode. I am 10 weeks out and I eat between 400 and 800 calories normally around 600. I keep carbs between 20 and 40. I have been fluctuating between loosing 30 to 35 pounds for the last two months.<br />
<br />
All advice and comments are welcome thank you in advance.<br />
<br />
P.s. I exercise 5 days a week by walking and I get in all my water
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/13 7:17 am

I think it's total BS. End of subject.

If starvation mode truly existed the way it is touted (you don't eat enough so your body won't lose weight)  by some people how could people actually starve to death? I thought people who were actually starving lost weight until their organs shut down and they died.

600-800 calories a day with 80-100 grams of good quality protein is not going to cause you to starve or your body to cannibalize its muscle tissue and organ tissue.

mickeymantle
on 8/10/13 8:07 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

don't believe in it

and if your losing 30-35 lb a month your losing 1 lb a day thats a lot

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

RPick67
on 8/10/13 8:34 am
VSG on 06/11/13

Starvation mode is an Urban Legend.  Stalls and slower losers is a reality.  If your 10 weeks out and you've lost 30lbs then your averaging 3pds. a week.  That's a pretty good average as far as I am concerned.  Slow and steady wins the race.  You don't mention your daily protein intake but hope it is bare minimum 60 grams.  Give it time.

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

Calking
on 8/10/13 8:45 am
VSG on 05/31/12

As everyone else said ... starvation mode is definitely a myth.

Here is an earlier post with more thoughts on this myth ...

http://m.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4633313/science-vs-our-n eed-for-illusion-and-the-starvation-mode/

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/10/13 8:58 am
Thank you
rhearob
on 8/10/13 9:58 am - TN

Starvation mode is in complete bull**** built on 1940s junk science.

The idea of starvation mode comes from the study of concentration camp survivors and a reconstructed concentration cam experiment from the 50s.

The scientists took volunteers and subjected them to starvation, intense exercise, and deprivation.  The subjects were forced into hard labor 16 hours a day and a less than jailhouse diet.  What the doctors noted were severe metabolic changes from the combination.

What you are doing in your diet is as far from that scenario as possible.  You are feeding your body a diet of the building blocks it needs - protein.  You are also feeding it the vitamins and minerals it needs through your supplements.

Do the research yourself.  But look to your logs and labs for a better example than "Starvation Mode".  I would tell you to look a****er.  If by "getting in all your water" you mean 64 ounces, I would tell you thats a minimum and not a goal.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/10/13 10:19 am
Thank you
Bella_Fein
on 8/10/13 12:17 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

If your body was starving it would be consuming any energy available (fat) so you would actually lose weight. So to say your aren't losing because your body is in "starvation mode" is ridiculous. That is my personal opinion. I am not a doctor, but I am a pretty intelligent person that can put 2 and 2 together.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 141 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 415 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 436 views