possible incisional hernia??

beagal70
on 8/22/13 10:38 am - TX
VSG on 08/06/13 with

I am 16 days postop and have not been feeling any soreness  for about a wee****il today. Today I felt tenderness at the incision where they pulled my stomach out, just to the right of my belly button. When I felt of the area, I can feel a dime size knot. I plan to call the doctor's office first thing in the morning, but have any of you had anything like this? I figure it is a hernia but I don't know if it will be something I have to go have another surgery to fix or just wear a compression type band around my abdomen or what.

Cwuddy
on 8/22/13 11:25 am, edited 8/22/13 11:26 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

The only way you will know is to have a doctor examine you and have an ultrasound to see if it's a hernia.  The doctor can usually tell just from the physical examination without even looking at an u/s but you are very early out so it might be hard for them to know if it's a hernia or just some scar tissue underneath your incision.

I had an incisional hernia that I found at around 6 months...apparently that kind of hernia happens right away but usually you don't have symptoms until 3-6 months later.  I noticed a lump in the left upper quadrant of my abdomen and it would go away when i laid down and bulge out when i coughed.  When i had my original surgery I had pressure on my bladder for some reason and literally had to get up every 15 minutes to pee and I kept telling the nurses that I was worried about getting a hernia b/c i had to strain so often trying to get my then-huge body out of the bed.  They ignored me and sure enough I ended up with a hernia right in that side so I was pretty angry when I found out i had one.

By the time I was able to get it operated on it was massive and i could really feel it bulging out.  I had no pain from the hernia but the surgery to repair it is painful.  Your's may not be a hernia so stay positive and even if it is they can repair it.  I feel great now and have had no ill effects from the experience so I'm sure your situation will work out too.

Good luck to you!!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

beagal70
on 8/22/13 11:59 am - TX
VSG on 08/06/13 with

Thanks for the reply!

pineview01
on 8/22/13 11:29 am - Davison, MI

Could also just be a Sonoma, a little pocket of fluid.  I had one that resolved on it's own.  You're doc will be the one to know.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

beagal70
on 8/22/13 11:59 am - TX
VSG on 08/06/13 with

thanks for the reply!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views