does anyone follow a vegitarian plan like Dr Garth Davis?

ShelleKarena
on 8/27/13 12:44 am
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am getting really tired of meat and wondered if anyone follows a vegan or vegitarian diet and still have good results?

Super Cali Swagalistic Sexy Hella Dopeness!

Pre op: 15 lbs  M1: 18.4 lbs M2: 13.4 (2 wk stall) M3 14.4

emelar
on 8/27/13 1:44 am - TX
I don't, but I know folks do vegetarian. Don't know about vegan - that one would be tough. For vegetarian, you get protein from dairy, beans, tofu. And you can supplement with Protein drinks and bars. Poetkelly on the rny board is vegetarian. You may want to check in with her.
mickeymantle
on 8/27/13 1:58 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is hard to get the right proteins in without the sleeve , it would be very hard to do with out eating to many carbs and calories

If you want to do it you should see a good nut that deals with both wls patients  and vegans , to put together a diet plan that is healthy and will still let you lose 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

claimmaster
on 8/27/13 3:11 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I don't while I'm in this losing phase, but I plan on going back to a vegetarian diet when I get to maintanance.  In the mean time, I only buy pasture raised foods whenever possible.  I REALLY miss my big piles of veggies and salads.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

trudyjo
on 8/27/13 2:13 pm, edited 8/27/13 2:20 pm - Temecula, CA

You can actually get good quality protein on a vegetarian, vegan diet.  Vital wheat gluten is a staple that has more protein than most meats per serving.  Texturized vegetable protein also is very high in protein, so is tempeh.  Most people don't know about these options so they don't think you can do a high protein diet and be a vegetarian.  I've been talking with my Nut and Dr. And they are excited to work with me on this type of diet as I would refer to be a vegetarian also.  There are lots of great cookbooks to help you learn how to prepare these items in very healthy, tasty ways.

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/13 1:11 am

Not only did I have good results - I had great results. I considered all the surgeries but realized I didn't like the side effects of surgery. I was supermorbidly obese - I don't even know my top weight because my scale at home didn't go high enough.

I lost over 200 pounds in 18 months following a whole foods, plant based diet. There are many similar but the one I followed was Dr. John McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Plan He has a book but all the info is free on his discussion board here : http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620

You will find it easy to follow with the sleeve - most of the cooked starches and veggies are easier to chew than meat. There are tons of choices so if you have a problem with bread you can find alternatives that won't get stuck. You will be able to eat a lot of food so you will never feel hungry - you will probably need to eat more often with smaller meals than someone who didn't have surgery.

I've also just found out that Dr. Garth Davis is now using that same kind of whole foods plant based diet for his patients. He and his father are bariatric surgeons that used to have a TV show that was popular a few years ago. He puts his post op patients on this diet.

http://www.pcrm.org/good-medicine/2011/autumn2011/healthy-foods-and-healthy-bodies-garth-davis-md

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 156 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 429 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 447 views