Best Strategies to Navigate Big Dinners

Scott S.
on 8/28/13 5:11 am - TX

I am traveling for work and will be at about month 6/7 when I have to go.  Right now, I make it through 1/2 cup of soft food and my shakes/liquids daily.  I am not quite sure what my capacity will be by then.

On the trip, there are two 6 course dinners that are mandatory to attend.  I am assuming my consumption will increase by then, but who knows.

What strategies have you used to navigate big dinners and outings? Would love to get feedback!  

VSG: 8/8/13 

emelar
on 8/28/13 5:26 am - TX

Don't feel like you have to eat all 6 courses.  If they start with soup/salad, have a little soup.  Take a taste of whatever else strikes you as sleeve-worthy, but save your space for your protein.  Then have a bite of dessert.  It's unlikely anyone is going to comment or notice what you are or aren't eating.  Just don't overfill yourself trying to keep up with everyone else.  If anyone does question, tell them you're getting over a stomach virus and your appetite isn't back yet.

Scott S.
on 8/28/13 11:06 am - TX
On August 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM Pacific Time, emelar wrote:

Don't feel like you have to eat all 6 courses.  If they start with soup/salad, have a little soup.  Take a taste of whatever else strikes you as sleeve-worthy, but save your space for your protein.  Then have a bite of dessert.  It's unlikely anyone is going to comment or notice what you are or aren't eating.  Just don't overfill yourself trying to keep up with everyone else.  If anyone does question, tell them you're getting over a stomach virus and your appetite isn't back yet.

Great advice. I think once I see what my capacity is then, I'll probably be a little more at ease.

frisco
on 8/28/13 6:02 am

Strategy number 1

- Fix your way of thinking......assuming and thinking of increased consumption is not productive. Think less.... not more.....

Focus more on the event and do business.

Here is a real possibility..... you try and push your consumption (to be more of your old normal) at an event ...... than you get..... ​hicups, sneezing, foamies and end up in the bathroom puking.......

By 6-7 months out you will have a good idea on what you can and cannot do........

Don't let anyone or anything get in your way...... it's just another meal.

I had to do this several times during WL....... no big deal.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Scott S.
on 8/28/13 11:04 am - TX
Thanks for the post and great points!

Tracy D.
on 8/28/13 6:58 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I've gone to a couple things like this already and it hasn't been a big deal.  I push the salad away that is usually already sitting on the table (I can't do lettuce yet) and pass the bread basket to the next person.  When they bring the main dish I eat the protein and a couple bites of veggie.  I wave away the dessert or - if it's sitting there already which has been the case once - I ask anyone else if they would like mine.   And there are usually multiple takers! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Scott S.
on 8/28/13 11:05 am - TX
On August 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM Pacific Time, Tracy D. wrote:

I've gone to a couple things like this already and it hasn't been a big deal.  I push the salad away that is usually already sitting on the table (I can't do lettuce yet) and pass the bread basket to the next person.  When they bring the main dish I eat the protein and a couple bites of veggie.  I wave away the dessert or - if it's sitting there already which has been the case once - I ask anyone else if they would like mine.   And there are usually multiple takers! 

Great strategies. Thank you!!

Scott S.
on 8/28/13 9:39 am - TX
Thanks everyone. I think the angst may pass after I get to solid foods. Good to know that most people don't notice.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 159 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 432 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 454 views