Suggestions for a 6 days trip to So Cal?

NUJoyce
on 9/8/13 1:43 pm - Hayward, CA

We will be going on a family vacation for 6 days in Southern California including 3 days at Disneyland, 1 day at the beach and 1 days at Knotts Berry Farm.   I plan on taking protein powder and have requested a frig at the hotel but am looking for low carb options/high protein while at the parks....  any suggestions are welcome.   Not really looking at carting food into the park.

mickeymantle
on 9/8/13 2:54 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

bring a lot of money and sun screen

string cheese is a good snack

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

rengirl1978
on 9/8/13 3:18 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I am pre-op, so no suggestions from me yet! But, I did have my nutrition class, and they said that string cheese is actually bad for the pouch, but I am sure it varies from person to person.

Enjoy your vacation!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

3DogLover
on 9/8/13 10:17 pm

I started ordering protein chips from amazon.  I know you don't want to bring a bunch of food with you but they are small bags and lightweight.

mickeymantle
on 9/9/13 1:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i never heard about string cheese being bad for your sleeve , I eat them all the time , and many others also post that they eat them

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

acbbrown
on 9/9/13 1:53 am - Granada Hills, CA

You are going to be near this awesome low carb cafe called miss bobbies in Tustin - if you want to go out to eat or want to grab anything - they have all sorts of low carb cooking stuff, snacks, etc and then you can order some low carb food at the cafe (including these great blended drinks....yumm)

And of course down the street there is a Tasti-d-lite - its a frozen yogurt place but they have the best yogurt thats 70 cal/4 oz portions and its almost like cold stone style and they can make you all sorts of flavors. 

Just make sure you have fun!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Christyb17
on 9/9/13 6:05 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13

Im going to have to try this place! I go to Fountain Valley for my Dr appointments and Tustin isn't horribly far :)

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

noftessa0401
on 9/9/13 2:07 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

A lot of the amusement parks sell turkey legs.  Near New Orleans Square at DLand you can get the gumbo with sausage - just don't eat the rice.  You can do a hot dog without the bun (same with a corndog - without the corn).  I think they sell Lemonade Light at DLand - you can get this in a frozen treat if you are wanting to escape the heat.  You can eat the toppings off pizza, they sell chicken, salads, there is Greek food at California Adventure.  You will be able to find a ton of things.  I would keep either string cheese or nuts or a protein bar in your pocket/bag just in case you get to a point where you are starving and need to eat RIGHT NOW.  Other than that, I have no doubt you will be able to find a ton of stuff. 

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

SophieNJ
on 9/9/13 3:46 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

went to disneyworld, and I carried in my string cheese, baby bel lights (vsg doesn't have a pouch)....  found sandwiches (threw away the bread) worked for me there...chicken cutlet, turkey and cheese, and some places had yogurt, fruit, etc.  it's do-able.  have a great time!

Sophie

Christyb17
on 9/9/13 6:12 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13

I too wouldn't bring snacks in with you. I would do as a PP a couple posts up suggested, eat a turkey leg or the toppings off a pizza. I would avoid a hot dog as they are not that nutritious, but I did eat a couple bites from my sons this weekend and it was delish (haven't had one in who knows how long Im 3 months out and probably at least 6 months before that!). Ive done chicken tenders and pulled the breading off before. hamburger no bun. Ive heard great things about Disney being very friendly to diet needs, so I know you can get around problem foods. Both Knotts and Disney have AMAZING turkey legs :) At California Adventure you can go to Fairfax market and get a deli sandwich and eat the insides. At both parks (at Disneyland I know they have one outside the Jungle Cruise and also in ToonTown) they have veggie cups you can pickup also hummus with pretzels. which beach will you be going to? A lot have beach shacks that you can order from. Again, you can get a hamburger no bun anywhere so that's probably your best option if you don't plan on bringing food anywhere.

I have two small kids, so I have a backpack or diaper bag everywhere I go, so Disney is easy for us because we just bring the stroller and can put a small soft side cooler packed with frozen water and cold snacks and then add apples and such to the backpack. Yet we still spend tons of money on snacks there as well.

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159