A Couple of Questions

Stephanie R.
on 9/13/13 10:40 am - GA
VSG on 09/11/13
#1 - if you had nausea, what triggered it, what did you do for it and after how many days did it go away? I think mine might happen when my stomach is empty, but still trying to figure it out.

#2 - I'm feeling a little pain when I'm sipping. It's tolerable and quick to go away, but can't figure out if its restriction, or just moving the gas around...I can hear a lot of gas in there.

#3 - Any ideas to help with the itching?

I'd say other than the nausea, things have been pretty good. Thanks for all of the words of encouragement and advice!!
shrinking_sarah
on 9/13/13 11:43 am - CA

1.  The only nausea I had was when I took actigall (or whatever it's called--the drug to prevent gallstones) on an empty stomach.  I got permission to take it with a tiny sip of water during meals and it went away.  I did take anti-nausea meds prescribed by my surgeon according to his directions for a time post-op, so maybe I would have had nausea otherwise?

2.  You might try liquid at a different temp, but it sounds like it's likely gas. 

3.  You mean at incisions?  Do you have stitches or glue?  I had glue and it wasn't too bad, but I had to force myself not to pick at it. :(

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

Stephanie R.
on 9/13/13 11:48 am - GA
VSG on 09/11/13
Thanks, that's helpful. For the itchiness, it's all over. I had it a lot in the hospital and we thought maybe it was a reaction to the IV pain med (since I'm already allergic to penicillin and morphine). But I'm still having it at home, just not as bad.
shrinking_sarah
on 9/13/13 11:51 am - CA

You may want to call your surgeon just so s/he is aware that it's still happening. 

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

Tracy D.
on 9/14/13 11:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Stephanie - I had some horrible itchiness the first few weeks after surgery.  I developed a ketosis rash (that I really couldn't see very well).  I also developed an allergic reaction to the PPI I was on.  I'm happy to say that at almost 4 months out, most of my itchy problems have gone away.  But DARN it was irritating for the first few months.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Scott S.
on 9/13/13 12:05 pm - TX
It's all part of the process... hang in there....

1- Check with your Doc about Acid. I was on Prevacid and that helped.
2- I had sipping gas as well. It went away for me after about a week.
3- For the itching, I used my wife's pregnancy belly lotion. Works great. I think this is just your skin shrinking. Be careful around your incisions.

Hang in there!!

VSG: 8/8/13 

mmmesser
on 9/13/13 12:19 pm

Pain medicine causes me to itch.  If you are still taking any that might be the likely cause.  I don't know what else would make you itch all over to then be able to say what might help.

TeacherSue
on 9/13/13 3:13 pm - Collinsville, IL

Oh yes, pain meds can cause horrible itching...I can't take morphine for that reason.  That's maddening!  Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Heather_Austin
on 9/13/13 6:35 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Stephanie, I am sorry that you are dealing with this.

1- nausea - I cannot comment.  I had TERRIBLE nausea right out of surgery and complained about it so they had me on anti-nausea IV's until I was discharged the following day.  No issue after that. 

2- I think it's both.  I had a lot of that also.  It wasn't so much pain as it was tightness.  If it's pain, you need to call you Dr  I just felt pressure when drinking or eating (eating was protein shakes) anything. One trick I used to get the protein down was to take only 1/2 serving at a time and to water them down buy half.  That helped me get closer to my water and protein goals (my NUT helped give me this trick)

3 - no idea - this is usually my nemesis. The day I got home I had some anti-itch creme, scar creme and pain creme from a compound pharmacy (shocked by the bill)....  I have been using the foam dial while I shower on my laprascopic points, but they are STILL sealed 16 days later.  The only one that isn't is the lowest incision point that is 1" long and it is mostly healed. 

Hang in there Stephanie  It gets worse before better.

Heather - Austin, TX

FranW
on 9/14/13 6:23 am - TX

I had no nausea but my doctor used a nausea patch behind my ear and it keeps working for a few days after.

It took me a few days before I had gas.  So that is probably what that is.  Just make sure you take small sips at a time.

I itch because the incisions are healing but the answer about the pregnancy cream sounded good.

Blessings!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 461 views