Difference with preop weight loss & postop weight loss???

nay2120
on 9/18/13 9:03 pm - MA
VSG on 09/03/13

Hi everyone!!

Had my vsg on 9/3. I have a ? for everyone.

I did a 2 week New Direction rx protein shake, 3x a day for my preop diet. I lost btw 1/2lb to 1lb daily for a total of 12lbs.

Now that I am 2 weeks out from surgery, I am down another 12lbs. My ? is the post op weight loss was all the 1st week post op. I haven't lost anything since last friday. I am thinking this is a small stall I will get over but just wondering if anyone else experienced something similar? I am still on 3 shakes a day, but now I am able to use Syntrax nectar. I can add cream soups & yogurt, but I don't eat them that often bx I am not hungry. I am getting at least 80oz of water/crystal light in.

I assume it's close to the common 3 week stall that I have read about today, but it's only 2 weeks out so just curious.

Thanks for any advice or input!!

cappy11448
on 9/18/13 9:53 pm

I suspect you are just early for the 3 week stall because your pre-op diet was so successful. 

Its important to look at the "big picture" rather than the day-to-day numbers.  By my calculation, you've lost 24 pounds in 4 weeks!  that's a good rate of loss - better than any month of loss I've ever had! 

I think we WLS-people get our expectations up and then don't appreciate how exceptional it is to lose 24 pounds in a month.  Even at 15 pounds a month, we would lose 90 pounds in 6 months, and 180 in a year. 

Congratulations on losing 24 pounds.  You are doing great.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

nay2120
on 9/18/13 10:01 pm - MA
VSG on 09/03/13

Thanks cappy11448!!

I agree with you that it's probably the 3 week stall. I wasn't really thinking about the preop diet & how it affects the post op diet. 

It makes perfect sense. :)   

Thanks for the support & confirmation that it's a normal part of this process!!

Fran001
on 9/19/13 5:44 am - MI

Yup.  I had the exact same thing happen.  But don't worry: the stall ends, the weight loss kicks in again.... lather, rinse, repeat.

on 9/18/13 10:44 pm

I am just about where you are. I lost 17 lbs pre-op and about 10, 2 weeks post-op but I have a total of 27lbs. Thats awesome. We are doing just as our bodies can do. And that is great. Our bodies are going through a HUGE change right now. She is right at this rate we'll lost 100 lbs in no time.

docfordogs
on 9/19/13 12:01 am - McKinney, TX
VSG on 09/05/13

Well, I actually envy your weigh loss post surgery.  My weight loss 1 week pre surgery was 10 lbs and I am 2 weeks post and have only lost 7 lbs.  I'm having a hard time looking at those numbers and feeling successful, especially after reading all the 3-6 month post op stories.  I just want 50+ pounds OFF ALREADY!!!  Patience is not one of my strongest virtues :-) 

However, then I remember my last time dieting and struggling and starving and exercising and not cheating and it took me 5 months to loose 20 lbs.  I keep reminding myself to be patient....  Be patient.....  And then be more patient...... 

DanielleP
on 9/19/13 4:01 am - Philadelphia, PA
VSG on 04/29/13

I'm not very patient either. Right now I'm at five months out and looking at the six month successes and feeling like I won't get there. But reading your post changed my perspective and I hope I can uplift you! My surgery weight was 266, similar to yours, and at two weeks out I felt like I wasn't losing either. My mentality was that the surgery was done, nothing I could do, but I was really miffed. I'd lost 12 on the pre-op Slim Fast diet. I did not understand how I could be losing so slowly with such a small stomach and eating so very little.

But you say you want the 50 pounds off already. And I'm down 55+ pounds since my surgery on 4/29. More than 40 of those pounds were gone after the first three months, and then I started losing a LOT of inches. Somehow it happened despite my griping and disillusionment. If I could give advice I'd say TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS and track them. Until this week I've been walking around in size 24/26 clothes and I took a gamble, walked into Old Navy where I could never shop before, tried on a size 18 dress. It looked so small and it fits so, so comfortably. If I'd been measuring I would have known. So take your measurements!!

tdallison
on 9/19/13 4:17 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I went through a stall on my 2nd week and like you had a 2 week pre op diet where I lost about 13 to 14 pounds.  Happy to tell you in week 3 I started loosing again.

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

nay2120
on 9/19/13 6:00 am - MA
VSG on 09/03/13

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom & encouragement!!!!

I know if I just follow the program, I can't fail. I just keep telling myself that. :D

Renee

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 113 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views