Question for those willing to share, what was your weight loss goal with VSG?

josiemorehouse
on 10/3/13 2:32 am - Villa Rica, GA

I'm curious to know what the goals are for most of you all, of course if you're willing to share that info.

I'm 5'4" and currently (as of this morning) 232.6 lbs.  My overall goal would be to get to 140 lbs, which would put me at the top end of 'normal' weight for my height according to the BMI Calculators.   It would be nice if I could get lower than that, like 120s-130s, but I'll honestly just take the high end of normal.

Right now I'm at a 39.9 BMI.  I know that insurance requires a BMI of 40+, or 35+ with comorbidities.  I have a cholesterol level of 247 with LDLs at 165, plus high blood pressure.  If I'm not taking medication for these (yet), would they still be considered comorbidities when trying to get my WLS approved with insurance??  Hmm.

Now I'm thinking out loud, LOL.  I know that weight loss varies person to person, depending on your body, diet and activity levels.  I'm just curious about everyone's experience.

Thanks!

Josie

pennymcq
on 10/3/13 2:52 am

Hi Josie, Well I am 2.5 months post op and I have lost 57 pounds. ALL THOUGH, I was very very sick the first 2 months and hospitalized 2 times after my surgery. The doctor says I am healing slow.  It has been a tough road and not really happy with my surgery.  Yes I have lost alot of weight and happy for that, but the hell i have been through is over whelming.  My goal weight per my nutrionist is to be at 133. I am also 5'4".Good luck to you

B. Smith
on 10/3/13 3:04 am
VSG on 12/04/13

ugh, sorry to hear that Penny... What were your complications as I'm trying to figure out which surgery to have.  Good luck with your journey.

Menchi
on 10/3/13 2:53 am
VSG on 09/11/13

I had a BMI of 45, however my insurance would not cover it even if I was dying so I went to Mexico.  I fought them for two years so I had to pay out of pocket but better that then letting my body fall apart any longer.

B. Smith
on 10/3/13 3:02 am
VSG on 12/04/13

WOW, what insurance do you have and what was the reason your insurance wouldn't cover it?  Just curious as I'm going through the process now and 41 BMI with artheritis...  

Menchi
on 10/3/13 3:26 am
VSG on 09/11/13

It was united, but my husbands company opted out of covering the surgery.  The first doctor I went to said it was covered and I did a years worth of dieting then I found out they lied.  The insurance has an appeals process but it is almost impossible to get them to even consider the option. 

datachick
on 10/3/13 3:07 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Hi--I'm 11 months post-op.

5'4", 49 yrs old at surgery; Started at 235 lbs, surgery at 211.

BMI was 39.5 like yours, on BP meds. During pre-op the sleep doc declared I had apnea so that gave me another co-morb. They'll work it for you.

My first failsafe (in case I completely screwed up) goal was 150. Met and passed it.

Got down under 140 lbs at 8 months post-op, working out with a trainer 4x/week since 2 months post-op, and eventually up at 1200 calories. My body is fit and toned and muscular. I can't believe it, it's something I've never seen. My face is different. My feet have shrunk. I'm in a size 4. Everything I put on fits and looks fantastic. Life is easier. My soul is lighter.

Per my trainer I'm now eating 1500-1600 calories so I can build more muscle. If I don't eat enough, I can feel it: weak and can't get thru my workouts. I have no more fat to burn so need to feed the machine. It's crazy to me that I'm being told to eat more, but I'm working thru that. It's not about losing weight for me any more, it's about eating what my body needs to function properly.

Anyhow, there's my story. What I've learned is this: My body will do what I tell it to do. I do not buy into "bounce back weight" or "harder to lose after 50", and I will stick to that. It depends on the energy and time I put into it. I'd say I've done maybe 90% of what I'm supposed to be doing, 90% of the time...and have been very very successful. Take advantage of the first months and shove your head into the direction it's supposed to go while your tummy helps you. I can eat whatever and however much I want now, but I chose not to and that's because I've spent an enormous amount of time and energy in the past year changing my head. I was afraid when I got to this point that maybe I hadn't done enough, but gladly I have. Good luck to you!

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

summer24
on 10/3/13 3:10 am

I'm 5'3-1/2"(yes that 1/2" counts!)  my goal was to lose 70 lbs which would bring me right to the edge of a normal BMI.  However, I continued losing until my body stabilized at a certain weight, which was 20 pounds less than I thought I would lose.  I was thrilled to continue to lose weight!  I now bounce between 115-118 lbs.  If I drop, I allow myself more treats.  If I go too high, I just cut out the snacking.  it's very doable.

When I first thought of my goal, I never dreamt that I could weight what I do now, so I was willing to settle at a higher albeit healthy weight.  Once I reached goal, I continued eating the way I was, and just started adding some food here and there until I stabilized.  I'm almost 5-1/2 years out and holding strong!

mimij
on 10/3/13 3:22 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I am exactly one year postop today. My starting BMI was 39 and I did have co morbids of HTN, OSA and DM so had no trouble getting approval. My doctor's goal weight for me was 130 lbs and most doctors have a conservative goal of 60-80% of excess weight loss. I have far surpassed that with my lowest maintenance weight being 118 since late May/early June. I am 121.5 pounds this morning. I vacillate between 118 and 123.  

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Tracy D.
on 10/3/13 5:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Happy Surgiversary, Mimi!  You are a SUPERSTAR! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views