Low Energy, Heartburn, & Pureed Stage -- Suggestions?

diana44
on 10/5/13 7:47 am - GA
VSG on 09/04/13

I'm 5 wks post op and my energy level sucks it seems no matter what I do.  I've added an extra protein shake (which takes hours to drink, but has 40 grams of protein).  I'm on the pureed phase & it's really difficult to get food in.  2-3 tablespoons and I'm uncomfortable.  Then if it's got too much salt in it like soups -- I get heartburn horribly.  Which I had a hiatal repair so that shouldn't be happening at all.  On top of that, after I get full it takes me hours to want to put anything back in my tummy.  So, I'm doing 1 protein shake in the morning & eating about 2x after that -- if I'm lucky.  Food became so uncomfortable that I just went back to soft stuff -- yogurts, etc.

Just standing for 5-10 minutes makes me break out in a sweat.  I'm walking like a 80 yo granny.  I'm losing between 1-2 lbs a day and am beginning to get concerned. 

Is this going to get better?  Any suggestions?  My biggest question -- is this normal for this stage of the game.

thanks.

jenlaur1
on 10/5/13 8:00 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

It sounds like that maybe you should be calling your doctor since you're having such a hard time.  Hopefully someone else here will have more to offer than I can.  

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

VSG on 06/12/13
Are you on a PPI? Doc Macik didn't assign me one automatically. I experimented a couple of weeks in and found one that worked for me. I feel crummy when I'm not on it. I, too, had the HH repair and have worse reflux now than before. It is the way we are plumbed now.

How many calories, protein, and liquids are you getting in each day? How frequently are you eating? Please post them so we can help troubleshoot. I just looked back and I was eating 6x per day at that point, getting in 600-800 calories per day, 65+ grams of protein as he expects us to do, and all liquids. I could not eat much at a time, but I was eating ALL the time.

If your calories are still hyper low it would explain why you are weak. By 5 weeks in, I was down 20+ lbs from surgery and 35+ from start. My energy levels varied, but they were starting to come back.

You have your 6 week appt coming up soon, right? This will be a good thing to talk to him or Chris about.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

diana44
on 10/5/13 9:34 am - GA
VSG on 09/04/13

Thanks Laurie!  I went back and tracked how many calories I'm getting in & it's roughly around 400 and that's on a good day.  I've been getting about 50 grams of protein (most of that is from my morning protein drink) and around 40-50 oz of fluids.  I've only been eating 2x a day.  As I said the last few days I went back to full fluids b/c food feels so uncomfortable unless its yogurt consistency, soups, or very, very soft pureed foods.

I haven't been tracking, but am starting a log today and will stay on top of it.  Support group is Thursday so I'll ask around how others are doing & Deb will be there too.  I see Macik on the 17th for my 6 wk check.  I talked to him about all this on my 3 wk check & he said just continue to work on increasing protein.  Oh & I did start on a PPI today.  I'll put into a call to him next week if I don't start pepping up.  I didn't realize how little calories I'm getting.

Stephanie R.
on 10/5/13 11:31 am - GA
VSG on 09/11/13
I'll see you at group this will be my first time at this particular group.

My WLS and Plastic Surgery Journey Page: Stephanie's Journey 

Sleeve: 9/11/13  LBL, TL, BL/BA: 12/16/14

Stephanie R.
on 10/5/13 11:30 am - GA
VSG on 09/11/13
Laurie, what PPI did you decide on. I think I need to add one as well.

I'm having similar energy issues. Two issues to be specific. 1) is some days I feel like I can run a marathon and some days I don't feel like I have the energy to open a water bottle. 2) when I do get energy, it's typically after 5pm...I assume as I get more calories into my system. Which just sucks because it's interfering with my work.

One last question....what are you doing for your vitamins? I have an email out to Dr. Macik on this wanting to change mine up.

VSG on 06/12/13
I'm taking generic Prevacid and it's working ok. I switched from Prilosec, which seemed to stop working about a month ago.

I am taking adult chewables from Vitamin World. They are comparable to adult chewable Centrum.
http://www.vitaminworld.com/chewables-875/adult-chewables-060535

I also take chewable calcium with D (bariatric advantage caramel flavor). Dr. M has been ok with both.

When do you get the bulk of your protein in? You might find that front loading protein in the morning gets you off to a good start.

Are you exercising? I find that makes such a difference. It sounds counter intuitive, but I find I have more, and more balanced energy on the days I work out. Moving will also keep that gut working and help you to empty out your stomach to be able to actually consume things.

Just something to think about.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Stephanie R.
on 10/6/13 9:22 am - GA
VSG on 09/11/13
Thanks for the advice. Here's a rundown of my schedule...

Wake up and walk my dog a mile (15-20 min)

On the way to work, I start a Premier Protein shake which takes almost 2 hours to drink. (30 grams of protein)

Throughout the day, I have a water bottle with protein bottle which has 26g of protein. I have 1-2 of these bottles a day.

At lunch, I have 4 oz of soup or grits with some unflavored protein powder. I usually go on another mile walk over lunch as well.

I have a jello or yogurt for a snack if I need it.

For dinner it's soup or grits again. I have done some cottage cheese (shhh, don't tell doc ). Then I take my dog on another mile walk.

So I typically get 65-90g of protein a day. I'm sure it'll get a little better when I move to puréed on Wednesday.

cappy11448
on 10/5/13 9:31 am

I found that my stomach was quite swollen for the first 7 weeks, so I could only eat an ounce to 1.5 ounces a meal.  At week 7, the swelling went down and I was able to eat more progressively increasing to about 4 ounces now at 5 months out.

I also didn't want to eat for hours after each meal.  I had no trouble with acid reflux, so I don't know about that.  I was also tired for a long time - at least 3 months... but I didn't notice when that ended.  At 5 months I'm feeling much more energy. 

I found that sea food was the easiest protein for my tummy.  I'd make sea scallops (which aren't that expensive if your service size is 1 ounce! (smile)) or salmon or tilappia.  they are still among my favorite meals.  I had to wait on chicken for a while.  Tuna salad worked.  Yogurt and cottage cheese were also easy on my tummy.

Good luck with your recovery.  It is a bit frustrating for a while, but before you know it, You'll be able to eat more food and more varieties.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

diana44
on 10/5/13 9:41 am - GA
VSG on 09/04/13

Thanks Carol -- I didn't even think about that my stomach may still be swollen.  You're describing almost exactly how I've been feeling -- not wanting to each for hours after each meal & only being able to get down 1-2 oz at each setting.

I'll try some scallops and salmon (which I love).  I've been eating tons of yogurt and soft foods as that what feels best.

At least I'm not alone in this struggle.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views