Conference is tomorrow with bariatrician.

josiemorehouse
on 10/23/13 1:11 am - Villa Rica, GA

Hubby's going with me, yay.

I've been absent for a couple weeks, I've been crazy busy, but I posted not too long ago.  Of course I'm still a newbie, but I have everything lined up for what I hope to be my upcoming VSG tales of success.

I have my medical history being mailed to me from my previous physician (since I have moved recently, I have to get it all mailed to me).  My family doctor has (recently) diagnosed me with hypertension, high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, and vitamind D and iron-deficient anemia.  I'm on all kinds of fun medicines.  I've also been battling depression for years, due to weight issues, so I've been on antidepressants for a while.

My doc has me monitoring calories, doing high-fiber, low sugar, low fat, low cholesterol eating (which is so much fun), but she wants me to wait 3 months to see how my blood work comes back after being on the meds.  Hrm.  Not sure about that, because my insurance does require 6 months of gung-ho dieting with documented visits with doc every month, so we'll see.  I'm tracking my blood pressure, checking it 3 times a day, and it's still up there, but not as bad with the lisinopril.  I'm still hovering between the 39-41 BMI range, but I have the comorbidities that will qualify me with my insurance.

So at the conference tomorrow, aside from telling me what to expect from surgery, I'm curious to what else goes on.  They ask me to bring my insurance card and photo ID, and I always have that in tow.  I'm not sure what to expect, outside of listening to doctors tell me all about the surgeries and what to expect (during/after surgery).  Any experiences would be great.  For anyone in/around the Atlanta area, I'm attending the conference from the Atlanta Medical Center Bariatric Surgery group's seminar tomorrow in Douglasville.  :)

Thanks for listening.

mickeymantle
on 10/23/13 1:34 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my surgeon had me talk to the insurance person, the nut . the physical therapist, then sent me down to the lab for a pee test to check for drugs  and had blood drawn the next morning

bring a pencil and paper to take note and write down any questions so you don't forget to ask them

there are no dumb questions , you need to know what your getting into

they will probably give you a book with the food plan in it and pre op instructions post op instructions

most people take 6-9 months between when you first see the surgeon and when you have the surgery

they may send you for a stress test   , physic evaluation , hematologist, 6 month of seeing the nut monthly , then some classes on post op eating 

this is a long term journey and takes time to prepare for 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

josiemorehouse
on 10/23/13 1:51 am - Villa Rica, GA

I'm definitely prepared to take this by the horns!  I've already started adjusting my eating, taking in more fruits/veggies, reducing sugars to almost nothing, choosing right foods, watching calories, walking daily (20-30 mins daily).  Bring on the nutritionist!

I've got a notepad and pen ready, and I'm looking forward to it.  I know I'm not going to walk out of the seminar tomorrow and be ready for surgery Friday.  I know it's going to be a journey, a long one in fact.  Just to get to the point of surgery, I have a long way to go.  Then after that, I know it's going to be a recovery process.  I'm mentally prepared.  I'm 32, I'll be 33 in December.  I don't want to spend the rest of my life fighting a losing battle with failed diet attempts.  I don't want to spend the rest of my life ashamed of myself and crying because I can't fit into my jeans.  I know this will be a tough journey, but I'm determined, and I have the strength and resolve to change my life.  :)

mickeymantle
on 10/23/13 2:47 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

after surgery you will be eatting very little fruits and only a little veggies , the plan calls for 80+ gm of protein a day

pre-op I ate 1200 cal 100 gm protein a day and lost 70 lb

now I eat 500-700 cal 80 gm protein , 30 gm carbs 65 oz water and there is little room  for anything else

you should measure everything you eat and track it using myfitnesspal.com or a different tracker

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

josiemorehouse
on 10/23/13 3:30 am - Villa Rica, GA

I use MFP on my iPhone, but I haven't been consistent with it for the past few months, just hit and miss.  I've been staying around 1200 cals, high fiber.  Right now I'm trying to change for the 6 month diet, not surgery. 

Hmm, little fruits/veggies post-surgery?  I imagine that you can add them later once you get closer to goal, right?  I'd think that the high-protein would be focused for the weight-loss aspect, and once you reach closer to goal, you can have non-sugary veggies and some fruit, right?  Or does it affect you forever?  I love my fruits/veggies. 

I try to drink 64 oz of water a day now, but I don't always get it in, that's probably my worst habit, not drinking enough water. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 119 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 352 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 401 views